Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got lucky or so I thought I bought a 2015 Commander 1000 XT Bank repo for $9,000 it has a 6 inch super ATV lift 36 inch tires LED stereo everything loaded only bad thing is the four-wheel drive does not work I'm familiar with the command drive in the Polaris and it's operation I was a blur tech for 10 years from what I've read here it locks in the gear case not in the front diff the actuator works what the front lifted the driver's wheel free spins in 4-wheel drive the passenger does not but I can turn it with Force rear wheels on the ground the drive shaft does not spin which tells me the gear case is doing what it should I know the front diff is limited slip but it seems to me it should actually lock on one side help please

·
Super Moderator
23,205 Posts
It’s really hard to get enough force spinning the front in by hand . It has to be consistent spin. Visco could be weak depending on the amount abuse it took by previous owner . Best way to see if it’s actually working find a mud hole and hammer down .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've only had it for 2 days I tried backing up a hill in 4-wheel drive three wheel spin front lever locks but I have noticed going across my pasture if I hammer it in 4-wheel drive it seems to try to pull to the right with rear wheel spinning it does not do this in two wheel drive so I'm guessing there's not a positive lock to the ring gear from the passenger axle the VSCO would have to lock for the passenger axle to lock in am I correct

·
Super Moderator
23,205 Posts
Yes once the right side spins it will engage. But even in 4wd three wheel or locked in 4wd you should notice a pull left it right . Grab a hold of left inner cv and see if you can pull it out by hand. Normally If visco is toast it will grind when trying to engage . Unless the seal in the visco has burnt out then it won’t do anything other than pull on right front . But if you can pull the cv out by hand the tip is broke off the end of the axle and that is a pretty normal problem . Once tip breaks off no visco lock .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
From what I've read on here so far I checked right side lower left side joints move in or out of the diff the actuator is working the drive shaft is locking to the gearcase but the right side will never locks I don't have three wheel nor four-wheel try to loading it on the trailer four-wheel drive no front wheels turning just rear wheels burning and from what you're saying my right wheel should be locked all the time when in 4-wheel drive correct if so that's not happening everything's working till it gets to the front diff and then there's nothing far as four wheel drive just trying to get a little better educated before I tear into it

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From what I've read on here so far I checked right side lower left side joints move in or out of the diff the actuator is working the drive shaft is locking to the gearcase but the right side will never locks I don't have three wheel nor four-wheel try to loading it on the trailer four-wheel drive no front wheels turning just rear wheels burning and from what you're saying my right wheel should be locked all the time when in 4-wheel drive correct if so that's not happening everything's working till it gets to the front diff and then there's nothing far as four wheel drive just trying to get a little better educated before I tear into it
Also there is no grounding or any kind of noise coming from the front end

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The the right side never pulls any ideas I know it's going into four-wheel drive because I can turn the drive shaft and it'll move the unit

·
Super Moderator
23,205 Posts
For both sides not to spin when in 4wd something would have had to break . But anything that would have broke to kill both sides should be making lots of noise .

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's what I would have thought I'm about to go see if I can figure something out with it I'll let you know if I find something or what I find thanks for the help

·
Registered
12,614 Posts
Any updates on your diff . It is possible to have a diff destroyed and not make any sounds .
It’s what happens when they use a ATV diff in a SxS . I have killed 6 front diffs between my mander and OG mav . Canam junk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Only update I've jacked it up in 4 wheel rear pulls left front nothing right front spins but I can stop it still not sure what's going on with it I'm trying to figure out what locker to put in a torq or Halo figure when I tear it down for the locker I'll find the problem

·
Registered
12,614 Posts
If you take off hard on the gas in 2WD does it pull to the side ?

·
Registered
12,614 Posts
Wow. The grumpy old guy is...well, grumpy.

Boog’s your a idiot .

1 - 20 of 30 Posts