Can-Am Commander Forum banner

4 WD drive not engaging

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  azzx 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys,
I have spend the past few hours browsing the posts about this issue and have not come across a tangible solution.
The vehicle: 2014 Max XRSDPS with 10,000 miles. Complete service every 1500 miles or so. No sand dunes/mud bugging etc. Only rides in forest service trails. so, about 8000 miles with 4WD on.

Problem: Went for a ride today and at the start of the dirt road put the vehicle in 4WD mode. the 4 WD light on the dash did not come on,
Diagnosis so far:
1- lifted the front wheels off the ground, turned the wheels and there is resistance and front drive shaft moves. So not sure if it is stuck in 4WD or not.
2- over the past couple of thousand miles I have had the false 4WD indicator come on the dash.
3- The issue seems purely electrical --- no clunk/crunching from front axle
4- The CVT shafts are intact and work "normal"
5- I have not done any electrical testing of the 4WD switch and the actuator.
6- removed the wire from the switch (next to the actuator) and the 4WD indicator came on
7- when i trun the vehicle on and push the 4WD switch on the dash, I do not hear the actuator activating
8- Fresh oil in front diff.
9- are there any wires to the front diff. that could have been disconnected??

so, after 6 years since this model came out, does anyone have an idea where to start trouble shooting?
the actuator is pretty expensive and I just dont want to swap parts.
does the switch issue with false 4WD can cause this problem?

thank you for your help

See less See more
#2 ·
Pull the 4x4 module out and then with the key on and wires hooked up flip the 4x4 switch. This way you see if anything is happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.