Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 1000xt commander and am looking at replacing the tires. I have poured over probably 100 or more posts and have learned a lot. The machine is bone stock with the exception of a maverick belt. I would like to run 29x9x14 and 29x11x14 radial dirt commanders. Many people here give them good reviews. What I am unsure of is will they rub, and will I have to clutch this thing with these tires??? They seem pretty light. I do not know if they run on the small side or not. I would hate to buy these and have to spend a bunch more money on upgrades. This is my first sxs. I would rather ask questions then waste money. Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I now see these tires are a bias ply not a radial. My mistake. I still would like to run them, and would like to know if anybody used these tires in these sizes on their machines. I believe my wheels are 7 front and 8.5 rear.

·
Registered
72 Posts
The Dirt Commander is a very good tire with an 8 ply rating. They wear very well even on pavement. Only issue is they are loud. I have the same size tires on my machine and they sing even on gravel roads. I'm still playing with air pressure to see if i can cut down on the noise. They run slightly smaller. With 12 lbs of air I'm just over 28 inches. These are brand new tires too.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Starky1, what kind of machine do you have, have you clutched it, is there a big power loss, do they rub, and finally would you do it again? I know, lots of questions, but I dont want any surprises when I do this. I dont go mud bogging. Mostly trails, hills, some mud, but I dont go looking for trouble. Thank You, Brian.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I now have a General but i had two Commanders before this. Had the Dirt Commanders on my last Cmdr and loved them so much, that's why I bought them for the Gen. Ya, I would do it again. Even though they make a little noise on the pavement and hard pack, they are an awesome tire for the money.
On the Cmdr I had 28s and I had done the clutch lock-up mod. Not that it matters in this forum but I have stock clutch in the Gen and stock tire size is 27. I don't remember if there are any rubbing issues with 29s on the Cmdr.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I run 30” in-law mudders on my 2018 mander 1000r , stock belt will smoke in 2 rides! Put a Carbon fiber belt on off eBay, no problems sense! OEM belts suck! And no clutch charges! Even tried the maverick belt,! No go. It is a little harder to shift through low to rev, just bump the gas and it’s a beast! The Carbon fiber belt doesn’t stretch. It’s a Gates belt

1 - 17 of 17 Posts