Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
I think it’s the carrier bearing. I’m no mechanic by any means but I did some research before I bought the machine And found that some people encountered that issue. Some guys just greased up real good otherwise you have to get an updated carrier bearing and get it with the grease fitting so you can grease it regularl. Super Atv makes one Again full disclosure I’m no mechanic just found this info in my research

·
Administrator
27,588 Posts
This issue has been a issue sense 2017 when the x3 and mav trail came out. They all use the same bearing from factory. Satv and sandcraft have a solid mounted bearing replacement. I have installed them both and it does fix the issue. But no one on here seems to think that the aftermarket world can fix it with a far more superior bearing over the 30$ Toyota factory bearing.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My commander has the warranty on it. And the dealer said upgrading to the super atv bearing. But that will void everything. After spending that kind of money on unit and never disclosed any of this. I believe its deceivement.

·
Administrator
27,588 Posts
The carrier bearing is a wear item. It's not under warranty from the start. That's like saying my brakes are worn out and you are going with ebc brakes at half the price. And dealer says oops your warranty is void now. Dealers can deny warranty if they claim its abuse. Warranty is only as good as the dealer writing up the claim. Lots of bad dealers out there that just don't want to deal with warranty claims. Cause if they deny then you pay now they aren't waiting 3 months for can am to pay.

·
Registered
12 Posts
This issue has been a issue sense 2017 when the x3 and mav trail came out. They all use the same bearing from factory. Satv and sandcraft have a solid mounted bearing replacement. I have installed them both and it does fix the issue. But no one on here seems to think that the aftermarket world can fix it with a far more superior bearing over the 30$ Toyota factory bearing.

I’ve got a 22 xtp max coming in a couple weeks (allegedly). Will this replacement bearing you mention fit the ‘22. They don’t list the 22 commander on the fitment list.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 2022 comander xmr that had a bad vibration
When I dropped it off the service manager came out to help and when I drove it off the trailer he noticed a bent axle on the rear drivers side
They did a warranty claim and BRP didn’t even question it… the service manager was completely shocked and said obviously this isn’t the first one.
Just a thought easy to check

·
Registered
7 Posts
2022 Commander XT-p. Ordered in October 2021 and received it June 2022. During dealer prep they noticed a vibration around 4k RPMs. They called CanAm and CanAm said it is a known issue with the drive shaft. Dealer is backed up and they finally received the drive shaft. It is being installed at the end of the month. Hopefully this will fix the issue. I don't understand how it can be a drive shaft when it is happening at 4k RPM in all gears.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2022 Commander XT-p. Ordered in October 2021 and received it June 2022. During dealer prep they noticed a vibration around 4k RPMs. They called CanAm and CanAm said it is a known issue with the drive shaft. Dealer is backed up and they finally received the drive shaft. It is being installed at the end of the month. Hopefully this will fix the issue. I don't understand how it can be a drive shaft when it is happening at 4k RPM in all gears.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same here. Ordered mine last fall and got it in June. I asked about the shake before I picked it up because of what I read. They said they never heard of this issue. I got mine home, and sure enough it shakes. I made an appointment to get it fixed, waited 6 weeks and brought it in. When I get to the service counter they told me they attempted the brp fix on two other machines and they still shook. So they tell me they need to order need more parts and have no estimate on delivery, oh, and in the meanwhile “do not drive it”. That was a month ago. I’d be surprised if I drive it again before the snow flys.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Same here. Ordered mine last fall and got it in June. I asked about the shake before I picked it up because of what I read. They said they never heard of this issue. I got mine home, and sure enough it shakes. I made an appointment to get it fixed, waited 6 weeks and brought it in. When I get to the service counter they told me they attempted the brp fix on two other machines and they still shook. So they tell me they need to order need more parts and have no estimate on delivery, oh, and in the meanwhile “do not drive it”. That was a month ago. I’d be surprised if I drive it again before the snow flys.
Did they replace the drive shaft?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like I'm wasting my time getting the Shaft replaced.
Not sure they really know. I’m getting the feeling, from what I’ve read, they just keep throwing parts at these things until they get the right combo of parts by chance. Meanwhile- I keep making this payment on a machine I waited a year for and now cannot use.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I brought my 22 mander xtp max right back in after picking it up new they said “the vibration won’t damage anything, go ahead and drive it until we get the new shaft in.”
Dealer ended up pulling both shafts and had them balanced and then filled the shaft cover with oil to absorb any remaining vibration. It got rid of ALL of the vibration.
Having said all of that, it doesn’t mean the vibration won’t ever come back. I’m no mechanic so I can’t say if my fix was a big bandaid or if it actually corrected it. Time will tell, I have rode it quite a bit and it’s a lot more fun to drive without that terrible rattle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
When I brought my 22 mander xtp max right back in after picking it up new they said “the vibration won’t damage anything, go ahead and drive it until we get the new shaft in.”
Dealer ended up pulling both shafts and had them balanced and then filled the shaft cover with oil to absorb any remaining vibration. It got rid of ALL of the vibration.
Having said all of that, it doesn’t mean the vibration won’t ever come back. I’m no mechanic so I can’t say if my fix was a big bandaid or if it actually corrected it. Time will tell, I have rode it quite a bit and it’s a lot more fun to drive without that terrible rattle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The dealership told me the shake would do no damage the first time. They changed their tune the second time I brought it in. I’m still gonna drive it when the opportunity comes. I hope your fix works. Happy riding!

·
Registered
7 Posts
My dealer told me to go ahead and drive it because it will not cause any damaged. It's just a vibration and Can-am sent them a new shaft to replace. They are saying Can am is adding something like cardboard to the shaft to eliminate the vibration. I am assuming where you had oil filled I will have cardboard. I only notice the vibration when my wife is driving. I guess I have too much of a lead foot to hear or feel the vibration.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts