Can-Am Commander Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Took it back to the dealer and they installed the "set-screw" that was supposed to fix the issue. It made no difference. The annoying rattle is still there, in 2 wheel drive, between about 3500 and 4500 rpm, above that it goes away and in 4 wheel it goes away. Dealer couldn't find anything is wrong with it. It sucks.
Yeah. Just read the other thread. What Ace said about a solid mount carrier bearing makes sense, and he certainly has a fair amount of experience with it on the x3.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have the same issue. Opened a case with BRP, they had the dealer install the set screw and it's actually worse now. This problem has been going on for 4 months, I'll just keep driving it until it breaks and they fix it.

·
Administrator
27,517 Posts
It probably won't break . So they won't have to fix it. It's just going to be annoying. I put off the solid bearing for 4000 plus miles . Actually put 3 rubber carriers in before I bought the sand craft . The rubber bearing can be bought at Auto part store for 21$ but I got tired of changing it every 1500 ish miles . I have seen the rubber bearing beat completely out in 800 miles. So that one got solid bearing right from the get go. But it would be nice to buy a sxs with no issues . But it's not going to happen on any machine for less than 50k.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not too worried about it to be honest, it's a little annoying but it goes away after about 4200 rpm / 24mph. If there's an upgrade for it I'd be more than willing to swap it out for sure. So far it's been really difficult to find anything for the 21, but it's also new so I'm sure the industry will eventually catch up. I actually had to reach out to BRP just to get the part number of the belt so I can carry a spare with me. Gotta love those removable bed panels with part storage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
It probably won't break . So they won't have to fix it. It's just going to be annoying. I put off the solid bearing for 4000 plus miles . Actually put 3 rubber carriers in before I bought the sand craft . The rubber bearing can be bought at Auto part store for 21$ but I got tired of changing it every 1500 ish miles . I have seen the rubber bearing beat completely out in 800 miles. So that one got solid bearing right from the get go. But it would be nice to buy a sxs with no issues . But it's not going to happen on any machine for less than 50k.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
So did you buy the kit from Sandcraft and it took care of the issue?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I wish can am would do a recall and get this rattle noise fixed. We all spent a good amount of money. I know most of you didn’t just take a bare bone machine. Yes between 3400 and 4400 rpm our 2021 commander max xt rattles from the front drive shaft,and it embarrassing. When other people ride in the machine that have competitor models, they ask what the noise is. “Oh it’s a common problem. But there’s nothing to worry about”. Almost $30,000 including accessories and that ok?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Got my 22 commander max xtp in the spring, rattle noise from the first 100 ft off the trailer. Talked to Can am, took it back to the dealer and let them hear it, they agreed not acceptable. Ordered replacement drive assembly to eliminate the sound. Head mechanic called me and told me they had seen this several times and have been pulling front and back drive shafts and having them balanced. They did this with mine and it got rid of about 75% of the noise. Their fix for the remaining noise is to drill a hole in the assembly and fill with oil to absorb remaining resonance from the shaft. I picked it up Friday morning and headed straight to atv park, rode 15 hours last weekend with ZERO rattle. It was amazing, I had gotten so used to tapering throttle back to avoid the rattle and now it’s perfect. I have less than 20 hours on my ride and it finally feels like the $32K unit I paid for. There is hope, you just have to get to the right dealership that can problem solve harder than Can Am is willing to. This was not a “sanctioned “ can am fix but they did cover it under warranty.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts