Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got a 2021 commander max xt. I only have 40miles on it and now it has a rattle noise sounds like coming from rear drive shaft. It starts at about 20mph and just gets louder as I go. It does not make any noise at all if I’m in 4wd going.

·
Administrator
27,517 Posts
It's the front drive shaft. Once someone comes out with a good aftermarket carrier bearing its not going to stop. Put sandcraft in the x3 and it was a new machine no more rattle or vibration. We didn't realize how much vibration there was till after the bearing switch .

·
Administrator
27,517 Posts
Pull the plastics and make sure something hasn't came loose . They may have not got something in place right or tight. But pretty much has to be in front drive shaft. Cause it stops in 4wd . And there's no rear drive shaft on 21 model .

·
Administrator
27,517 Posts
X3 rattled in 4wd but not when under throttle only when you was cruising or costing . But never stopped in 2wd. Find someone making a carrier bearing for the maverik sport and it will probably be same bearing.

·
Administrator
27,517 Posts
Anything is possible I'm not there hearing it . Just referencing to what I have had to deal with on other models. You might hop over on the maverik forum and see if anyone over there is having same issue on the mav sport or trail 4 seat. If so maybe same issue . Will give a starting point to try and narrow it down if uts not obvious when you pull the plastic and start looking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Will do. I have seen where some people are saying they didn’t grease it good from factory and if you put grease on it it will help. Figured I’d try and give that a shot also.

·
Administrator
27,517 Posts
On x3 it was the splines where the rear if the shaft slid onto the output shaft. There's no grease fitting on x3 and you had to remove the shaft to grease the splines . And it would stop for about 5 miles . And unless they changed something on the new commander the carrier isn't a geasable bearing . It's a sealed bearing that floats in a rubber case. They still haven't put fitting in the 21 model x3.

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
Guys, have a look at the thread I’m about to link. Apparently it’s a known issue and the fix is listed in the thread, assuming your issue is the same.

·
Administrator
27,517 Posts
Guys, have a look at the thread I’m about to link. Apparently it’s a known issue and the fix is listed in the thread, assuming your issue is the same.

Post 6 lol same issue as x3 but Solid mount carrier bearing fixes it . I would pull drive shift grease the splines and it would be fixed for 50 is miles . Once I put carrier bearing in hasn't done it sense .

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts

Took it back to the dealer and they installed the "set-screw" that was supposed to fix the issue. It made no difference. The annoying rattle is still there, in 2 wheel drive, between about 3500 and 4500 rpm, above that it goes away and in 4 wheel it goes away. Dealer couldn't find anything is wrong with it. It sucks.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts