Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
We bought a 2021 back around the first week of June 2021, I've seen some older posts about commander heat issues in the cab, anyone experiencing the same thing with the 2021 - 2022's? Sun is down here and it's 92 degrees out, which isn't bad for the Arizona desert. But our feet and legs were on fire, my wife called it quits. It got up to 162 degrees on the floor board, but I was only able to capture 150.9 degrees in a pic tonight. We got fed up and parked it.

Has Can-Am fixed this issue for anyone before? Or is this a "do it yourself" type of thing?
If I have to do this myself, what's the best insulation to use? Or the best solution?

Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Sky

Hand Gear shift Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive lighting

·
Administrator
27,410 Posts
Thermo tech ,dyno mat or any of the heat and sound suppressing tapes / mat. And no they haven't fixed it and if they do anything about it in will be on a new yr model. They have known heat was a issue since 2011 model . But done nothing to slow it or stop it till 2021 so if you are seeing 162 on the floor than the mid engine 11/20 had to be around 200. Which is why mine was parked anytime it got above 90⁰.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thermo tech ,dyno mat or any of the heat and sound suppressing tapes / mat. And no they haven't fixed it and if they do anything about it in will be on a new yr model. They have known heat was a issue since 2011 model . But done nothing to slow it or stop it till 2021 so if you are seeing 162 on the floor than the mid engine 11/20 had to be around 200. Which is why mine was parked anytime it got above 90⁰.

Thank you for that info. I'll order some of that as soon as I can.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
And their heat fix was moving engine and gearbox to the rear .

It seems like a lot of it has to do with the roof and windshield when the glass is down. If I open that up all the way it seems to cool off pretty well. Living in farm country with the bugs though, kind of have to keep that window closed until winter. Probably just going to take some getting used to and install that Thermo-Tec. That being said.. it's not nearly as hot as the old Teryx! Thanks for the info ACE!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Fan override and split windshield made a world of difference on my '14 Commander. Changed it from a struggle in the summer to lots of fun for the wife and I.

Just moving some air in the cabin negates a great deal of heat.

Good luck with the new maching.

·
Registered
20 Posts
From what I've read and experienced myself on the 2021 model, the windshield is what's causing most of the heat issue. Hot air from the engine circles back up through the shifter console. There's another recent thread on here where someone took theirs to the dealer. They tried something that made no difference, then told them to take the windshield off. Seems like they should be able to figure out a better fix than that. I spent a lot of money on something I couldn't test drive before buying. The heat issue was supposed to be fixed on the 2021, and I don't feel like not being able to have a windshield is a fix.

·
Administrator
27,410 Posts
Well if you never drove a older commander you can't really say they didn't fix the heat issue. Cause compared to the old commander there is no heat in the new one . It doesn't matter which model or which manufacturer you go with they all make heat . Old commander being the worse of them. Most have moved engine to rear which in my opinion makes them drivable on a 95⁰ + day. Driving a 13 model on a 90⁰ day was miserable. We only run windshield on x3 when they are calling for heavy rain or its below 70⁰. It's not just the commander making hear iys all of them .

·
Registered
20 Posts
Well if you never drove a older commander you can't really say they didn't fix the heat issue. Cause compared to the old commander there is no heat in the new one . It doesn't matter which model or which manufacturer you go with they all make heat . Old commander being the worse of them. Most have moved engine to rear which in my opinion makes them drivable on a 95⁰ + day. Driving a 13 model on a 90⁰ day was miserable. We only run windshield on x3 when they are calling for heavy rain or its below 70⁰. It's not just the commander making hear iys all of them .
I can't say I ever drove an old commander, but I came from a 2013 Maverick to the 2021 Commander. I think the new commander is hotter in the cab than my OG Maverick.

·
Administrator
27,410 Posts
Buddy of mine had a 14 xrs and he never once complained about the heat . But he has a flip up windshield and even in the rain he ran with it Open just so he didn't have to clean it every Mile. He just bought a xrc and said no need for a windshield this time around .

·
Registered
79 Posts
My 2021 Xtp has never gotten close too "hot" especially when compared to my 2012 x. I have a flip up windshield but even when I close I have just been a little uncomfortable compared to 2012. I would think someone could take the tunnel side covers off and insulate the radiator lines and get rid of most of it.

·
Premium Member
2018 commander 800
261 Posts
My og maverick, and commander where stupid hot, the mav helped a bit with the cat delete exhaust, the commander didn't matter, my x3 still got a lil warm inside with windshield door and back glass, my brand new defender does the same, when you start closing them in it gets way worse, nothing your gonna do to stop it, but I will say, they are much improved from the older models.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello,
We bought a 2021 back around the first week of June 2021, I've seen some older posts about commander heat issues in the cab, anyone experiencing the same thing with the 2021 - 2022's? Sun is down here and it's 92 degrees out, which isn't bad for the Arizona desert. But our feet and legs were on fire, my wife called it quits. It got up to 162 degrees on the floor board, but I was only able to capture 150.9 degrees in a pic tonight. We got fed up and parked it.

Has Can-Am fixed this issue for anyone before? Or is this a "do it yourself" type of thing?
If I have to do this myself, what's the best insulation to use? Or the best solution?

View attachment 66947
View attachment 66948
I've had 130deg in the cab of my 2012 Commander when it was 90deg outside, which is rare in Maine.
I use the cup holder in the console to make water for my tea.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought a 2022 Commander XT and have tried all the tricks including putting a boot for the shifter upside down (which did help). I bought the glass windshield and it was unbearable to drive with the heat. Talked to Can Am engineers at Hay Days, they basically said get rid of the glass windshield. So I bought the power flip which does help but no wiper and you get to eat bugs. Someone has to come up with a way to get air into the cab near your feet. That is where the heat is the worst. Watching for a solution or putting mine up for sale.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same issue here. Half windshield, no heat problem. Full windshield, excessive heat. I removed the black plastic hood cover and that seemed to help. I am considering modifying the fake air intake on the hood to try to get some cooler air flow into the front of the unit. Thoughts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Same issue here. Half windshield, no heat problem. Full windshield, excessive heat. I removed the black plastic hood cover and that seemed to help. I am considering modifying the fake air intake on the hood to try to get some cooler air flow into the front of the unit. Thoughts?
We went to the plastic power windshield so we can crack it open to get some air in going down the trail. Need to find a way to get fresh air into the floor area. That's where the heat is the worst.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts