Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my Commander about 3 weeks ago and really love the machine, except its overheating. After my 2nd ride LIMP HOME mode was activated. At the time I had no idea what the issue was - this is my first ATV of any kind. I just got the bike and have the 6 month can-am warranty as well as 3 years from the dealer. The service guy told me about the radiator and sure enough...it was FULL of mud. After cleaning everything was just fine. Now its overheating again.....been fine for about a week. Yesterday I cleaned the radiator about as well as I could but the bike is still overheating. No idea what the issue could be. I'm taking it into the dealer tomorrow. He said on the phone he still thinks its the radiator and possibly areas I didn't clean as well as I thought. So my question....if it is the radiator, is this normal? Do I have to be ultra careful about getting mud and dirt on this very expensive MUD and Dirt machine?

·
Registered
7,913 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Yes it is pretty common for the radiator get plugged and cause overheating. Now that you have the radiator clean, you need to make sure coolant system is full and air pocket free. There are some threads here explaining this procedure or maybe one the folks here that can explain it better than I will chime in. Good luck and enjoy your new ride. Boog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome to the forum. Yes it is pretty common for the radiator get plugged and cause overheating. Now that you have the radiator clean, you need to make sure coolant system is full and air pocket free. There are some threads here explaining this procedure or maybe one the folks here that can explain it better than I will chime in. Good luck and enjoy your new ride. Boog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yea....I saw some threads about having air bubbles......I think that may be part of my issue. We'll see what the dealer has to say when I take it in tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
24,142 Posts
Anytime it goes into limp mode from heat the system ends up full of air do to the steam . As for expensive mud machines they are expensive but they aren’t mud machines . People use them for mud machines but they enjoy getting muddy over heating cleaning and then repeating the process. They guys that don’t move the radiator up onto the hood with a radiator relocation kit.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So, there is a shroud on each side of the radiator, popping these off gave me MUCH better access to clean the radiator. Seemed really good then after about 30 minutes the temps started to rise again, got up to 6 bars and didn't come down even with the fan running. It didn't overheat but its running hotter than it should. Once thing I noticed is the coolant in my reservoir is low, below the minimum line. I'm going to fill it up but would that make a big difference?

·
Registered
675 Posts
Yes. You can remove the radiator cap and check level there, too. It should be full with system cold. If not, you should refill and go through the burping process described in the owner manual. I had to do it several times to get all the air out of mine. I did not bleed the system at the cylinder heads, however. Since those bleed ports weren't leaking, I didn't want to give them a reason to do so. I've attached a picture of a homemade radiator cleaner, which works well with removing those side shrouds. WIN_20160501_110532.JPG

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I took my bike to the dealer and it needed burped. They said there was a bunch of air bubbles due to the overheating issue I initially had. They also full cleaned the radiator for me and gave me some good tips. Bike is running good now. I also installed a screen just behind my front grill - based on others on this forum - we'll see how that does.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
Get new hose clamps. Part of the problem on these newer machines is the coolant hose clamps are garbage, and they leak, which is why your coolant is low and might be why you're overheating (and air bubbles in the coolant as well).

-Kris

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All my problems seemed to be solved now. Full day of riding yesterday and half day today. I got a radiator cleaning tool that really helps.....its a long tube with a curve on the end, connect it to the water hose and instant amazing radiator cleaning tool. I also installed a screen behind my front grill and its really cut down on the crap that gets in my radiator. Heat never goes above 4 bars now and thats here in Florida.

·
Registered
4 Posts
All my problems seemed to be solved now. Full day of riding yesterday and half day today. I got a radiator cleaning tool that really helps.....its a long tube with a curve on the end, connect it to the water hose and instant amazing radiator cleaning tool. I also installed a screen behind my front grill and its really cut down on the crap that gets in my radiator. Heat never goes above 4 bars now and thats here in Florida.
Where did you get the radiator cleaning tool?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
1 - 16 of 16 Posts