Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding for the first trip in our 2020 Commander I can already tell I will need a lift kit. How high would you guys and gals suggest on a lift and what brand. I will go bigger on a tire after these ware but not until then.Any suggestions or opinions are welcome.

·
Registered
617 Posts
2” RT lift
28”tires
If you go to bIg on tires you’re gonna end up putting money into it for clutching

·
Super Moderator
25,415 Posts
If you can’t get there with 2” 2.5 ain’t going to get you there either. No one makes anything bigger than a 2.5” and with rt 2.0 you are at your max limit without damage to the axles . No I personally don’t see how a 2.5 is even possible. Plus the 2.5 is just a lift . The rt lift changed the shock geometry so you gain handling and stability with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If you can’t get there with 2” 2.5 ain’t going to get you there either. No one makes anything bigger than a 2.5” and with rt 2.0 you are at your max limit without damage to the axles . No I personally don’t see how a 2.5 is even possible. Plus the 2.5 is just a lift . The rt lift changed the shock geometry so you gain handling and stability with it.
Thanks just what I needed to know. Also what do I need to do for stretching?

·
Super Moderator
25,415 Posts
Find someone to do the stretch . But if you install a lift you will definitely need longer axles with lift and stretch .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Find someone to do the stretch . But if you install a lift you will definitely need longer axles with lift and stretch .
Ill do the lift first then work on stretch later. What do you think about the high clearance A-arms?

·
Super Moderator
25,415 Posts
As long as they are the stock replacements you are golden . If they are forward arched axles will be way to short . And the ones the manufacturer sells for the arms are also to short if you adjust the arms for the right geometry.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Called Rt to make sure they fit the 2020 and they said they couldn’t say for sure they would fit and I couldn’t return them if they didn’t.

·
Super Moderator
25,415 Posts
Don’t know what to tell ya . I know people are buying them . But no one has complained about it not fitting . I haven’t seen the new shocks so no clue what’s different compared to the older shocks . I would say if you buy it and it doesn’t work you can modify it to clear . Or lost it back up for sale in the forum . They don’t last long on here.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don’t know what to tell ya . I know people are buying them . But no one has complained about it not fitting . I haven’t seen the new shocks so no clue what’s different compared to the older shocks . I would say if you buy it and it doesn’t work you can modify it to clear . Or lost it back up for sale in the forum . They don’t last long on here.
OK thats probably what ill do then i didnt know they was a for sale forum in here.

·
Super Moderator
25,415 Posts
People post there take offs. Or post kits that were bought and not installed do to trading off the commander .

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
People post there take offs. Or post kits that were bought and not installed do to trading off the commander .
I was looking at the height and noticed that the rear is only 9 inches and the front is 10 1/2, but specs say it should have 11 inch ground clearance. Why is this?

·
Super Moderator
25,415 Posts
They always come from factory lower than the specs. Even the 30k x3 is 2 to 3 inch lower than advertised. My 13 x with fox shocks was set at 9.5 front and rear . And preload was actually set to the service manual specs.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
They always come from factory lower than the specs. Even the 30k x3 is 2 to 3 inch lower than advertised. My 13 x with fox shocks was set at 9.5 front and rear . And preload was actually set to the service manual specs.
Ok ty
The reason Ive not got the rt lift yet is Im thinking doing the lift and stretch at the same time. I dont want to buy parts i cant use later.Will I use the rt lift either way?

·
Super Moderator
25,415 Posts
If you do lift and stretch at same time you will need rear axles . Factory will be way to short .

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
When I did portals, it came with stretched arms, it kept pulling them out of the rear dif every time I would get in any bind, had some longer ones made, and haven't had an issues since.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts