Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my Commander. Haven’t even got to ride it yet but will tomorrow. Several of us are going on a trip in a few weeks to the Hatfield and McCoy’s trails to ride for a day and a half. My questions are...
1. Do I need to buy a drive belt or anything that may break or wear out and cause me to need a spare? I read on here one guy broke a belt in less than ten hours by going slow. That sounds crazy...
2. Are their grease fittings I need to keep greased? If so what type of grease?
3. I’ve read that the rear brakes start squeaking on these machines. However most the post I read were for older machines. Do the new commanders still have this brake pad squeaking problem? If so, where can I order the brake pads I need and what brand are they?

Thanks in advance for you guy’s input!

·
Super Moderator
25,556 Posts
Get the Maverik 364 belt for spare. And a spreader bolt and primary puller bolt . Bollax / Ed at uatv-tech.com has kits available priced right. As for the brakes need to wait and see if they squeak first . Lots of the machines don’t squeak with factory pads but do with aftermarket and some just squeak no matter what you put on them . As for spare parts that depends on how you drive . If you hit everything coming and going you will be buying tie rods fairly quick. And if your throttle control sucks you will be buying axles . For the money the factory axles are the cheapest axles with strength. Anything cheaper is junk . If you treat it like the go fast utility that it is it will last you along time . If you drive it like a race car the belts will last longer but the other parts will wear faster .

·
Super Moderator
25,556 Posts
Grease fittings three each side on from arms one top two on bottom arms. Check joints for grease fittings two in front shaft two in rear shaft . And if your new machine has a front swaybar . Take it off and chuck it into the scrap pile . If you in the dirt and in throttle in 2wd your slowing down . You don’t have to stop to engage 4wd but you can’t engage it while rear tires are spinning . Put 12psi in front tires and 14 to 16 in rears .

Check all fluid levels and grease it before first ride . Dealers suck at filling the diffs and gear box . And they tend to over fill the engine . So if it’s over full it will end up venting into the air box. Enjoy have fun but what ever you do do not try doing doughnuts. The ecm has a shaft saver programmed in that read excessive wheel speed and will manually pull the throttle closed causing it to get traction really quick and most end up on the top.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow, good to know. Thanks for all the information. I’m gonna go out this evening and take a look at all this stuff. I got it home yesterday evening but haven’t taken it off the trailer just yet. I think mine does have a sway bar. At least I think I remember seeing one. As far as the fluids, I’ll check all of them too. However, I’ll have to go by the can am shop when I can and pick up some fluids if any are needed. I’ll see if I can pull that belt and bolts up online that you were talking about and get those ordered. As far as the throttle control, what do you mean if it sux? And do you mean I should drive it hard and fast all the time and not putt around in it to make everything last longer? Going slow makes the belt wear out fast?
And if the rear tires are moving or spinning, don’t engage the 4 wheel drive?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just contacted uatv-tech to try and get that belt and bolts ordered. Waiting on a call back from them. Maverik 364, is that the part number? Or will they probably know what I’m needing when I speak to them?

·
Super Moderator
25,556 Posts
If rear tires are spinning do not flip 4wd switch . It will not engage if the front and rear aren’t traveling at same speed. Belt will tend to last longer when not driving around slow . These machines don’t have a wet clutch so trying to take off slow is a bad idea you can smoke the belt and flat spot it . Lay into throttle get it rolling then back off . If you are planing on running under 10 mph I would say start out in loading gear. Low not high. As for throttle control knowing when to gas and when to let off is key to not breaking parts on anything you drive .

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good deal, I understand now... and cool, I’ll wait for Ed to call me back. Definitely wanna get that belt. Should I just go ahead and change the belt when I get it or wait until the other one goes out? I’d hate for it to go out during our trip and me have to spend time changing a belt when we are only gonna be there for a day and a half...

·
Super Moderator
25,556 Posts
Well lol it probably won’t go out sitting in the drive way . But it could run 400 miles or it could run 4000 miles . I would just hold onto the new belt for a spare . I got 1500 on factory belt and it was abused racing extreme trail riding. Mav belt ran 3000. But just trail riding on mav belt .

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lol, yeah, probably not. Getting ready to go take it off the trailer now. Gonna check all the fluids. If their good I’m gonna go on a ride tomorrow just on some local trails here. Sort of just to check it out. But good deal. I’ll just get the belt ordered and hold onto it just in case. Thanks again for all the info. You’ve been a big help once again!!!

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Nice rig. Have fun! My belt exploded at 300 miles but that was due to driver error. Do as Acefire stated and you will be fine. Don’t stress about it, I know personally two guys that have in excess of 8000 miles on their ‘Manders and still running the original belt. I do most of my driving in low now and have the sport low override harness. This is an upgrade I highly recommend if it is available for the newer rigs. Good luck and enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks guys. I’m in North Carolina. I’m the guy going to Hatfield and McCoy trails in a few weeks. We spoke the other day on here. By the way, I’ve spoke to Ed already, he’s emailing me a quote for the belt and some bolts he highly recommends changing on the primary and secondary. He says the factory bolts will stretch and can break and cause all kinds of damage. So he’s gonna send me a kit with everything I need to change these and the gates belt. So thanks for the information about all this. I never would have known anything about this. I’m ordering everything from Ed now to get this thing ready for riding so I don’t have to worry about anything breaking.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think these bolts Ed is sending me are the same ones you spoke about Acefire. So again, thanks man!!!

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
I didn’t see earlier where Ace was talking about tire P.S.I. 12 pounds is the stated max on my front tires and 22 rear. Not sure what tires you have. I have the factory bead locks and I run mine at 8 front and 15 rear.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine are Maxxis Bighorn 27x11x14 on the rear and 27x9x14 on the front. They are factory tires. What pressure should I run in them?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts