Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I’m new here but have been a Can Am owner for about 6 years. I’ve a commander and outlander and now on my second Defender.

I bought a 2018 Defender XT with cab.

I’ve contacted BRP on what I’m about to post but would like any “inside” info from owners so to speak.

I have two issues that are problematic for me. The cab leaks air quite badly. To the point of it feeling like a very strong fan is blowing in me with cold air while I drive. It leaks around the windows. Almost like there are some kind of seals missing.

The heater has a hard time throwing hot air. Below 35 degrees I need to cover the radiator almost completely to get my heat gauge up past one or two bars.

Combined with the cab leaking and a sub par heat system, it makes this unit a little hard to stomach paying for since I live in ND and it’s cold here 9 months out of the year.

Anyone have any suggestions? I don’t know how to adjust the doors, there’s nothing in my manual regarding it and I can’t seem to find any help on why the heater doesn’t heat very well.

Sorry for the negative first post but I’m looking for some help with this machine. I like it and everything about it, except the two main reasons I bought it, the cab and the heat.

Thanks in advance for any help, or directions on what I can do.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hello Coyote,
I have a 2016 defender cab model, There was a air infiltration problems with the 2016 cab models but I am pretty sure they corrected it by 2018, they had to remove all the plastic's on the front and then used a expanding spray foam on a number of places and below the windows was on of the larger area's. They also installed a heater upgrade kit. Not sure what this all consisted of but one of the things was a radiator plastic cover that when it is below 35 degrees I slide it down in from of radiator and it increases the water temp so I run around 3-4 bars in zero degree weather, and the heater will blast me out of the cab.
I know your saying that after paying north of 18K why would I have to screw with any of this but once you do your cab will be nice and toasty.

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
Tuck seems to be pretty knowledgeable about the Defenders so I am in no way questioning his authority but wanted to add to make sure your coolant system is full with no air pockets. Good luck and welcome to the forum. Boog.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys.

I finally found the plastic cover, I’m hopi g it’ll do more than my cardboard.

Can a guy just bleed the coolant system somehow to make sure it’s not got any air bubbles?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Fill coolant until it reaches max line on reservoir, put cap back on, start unit and let idle until cooling fan come on and goes off twice, turn unit off and let cool down and recheck fluid level.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Where did you find the cover for the radiator? I live in Minnesota and plan to plow with mine so I would like to install it prior to hell freezing over. I also plan to add some weather stripping where I see gaps around the front window. Mine is a 2019 Cab model

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The plastic piece is on the can am website under accessories. I think it’s 39.99 if I remeber right

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just an update on this.......

My coolant was low. I ran through the process of filling and after words the heater certainly felt like it was working better. It wasn’t overly cold yesterday here but the hot air coming out felt hot. Even turned down the temp on an afternoon ride. Outside temp was 35.

I have received two responses from BRP regarding my air leaking cab and am currently waiting for them to follow up.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Where did you find the cover for the radiator? I live in Minnesota and plan to plow with mine so I would like to install it prior to hell freezing over. I also plan to add some weather stripping where I see gaps around the front window. Mine is a 2019 Cab model
BRP part number for the radiator cover 715005108 and instructions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts