Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for the bushing around the blue area marked in the picture. I'm not sure of the correct terms I'm suppose to be using but maybe steering rack bushing? Its on the passenger side I know that and holds it in place? Maybe somebody could help me out. I know superdaves does it but mines the one where you have to send the whole thing to him to be pressed in and Idk if i can afford all that right now, or if I can find a bushing and do it myself or just buy a whole complete rack? Whats your opinions,,,new to riding and working on a can am, maybe 1000 hrs on it and i'm only one to have it in the mountains and yes I baby it but its got big tires on it and all i've heard from my dad is thats the reason the world is falling apart is because it has big tires on it,,lol (not funny). Any idea's Thanks,,,newbie Donna
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Nut

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Nut Auto part

·
Administrator
27,588 Posts
Super Dave will probably be your cheapest route. Factory will be around 500. Anything you buy aftermarket will be cheaper but it won't last more than 500 to 2000 miles if you baby it. Rackzilla doesn't make a replacement for the 15 up rack. Which it the only rack tougher than the factory rack. No one but super Dave makes that bushing and or rebuilds the rack. You can disassemble the rack take it to a machine shop and have them make you a bushing but that may or may not be cheaper than super Dave. Buddy of mine works at Douglass barrels so when I needed one he just measured it out and cut me one from a chromolly gun barrel. I had him turn it to .003 press fit of the id of the housing . Then I heated the housing and presses it in. And had him turn ID .005 clearance for the shaft. So if you have a local machine shop they can do it. The question is whether they will and how much .

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Super Dave will probably be your cheapest route. Factory will be around 500. Anything you buy aftermarket will be cheaper but it won't last more than 500 to 2000 miles if you baby it. Rackzilla doesn't make a replacement for the 15 up rack. Which it the only rack tougher than the factory rack. No one but super Dave makes that bushing and or rebuilds the rack. You can disassemble the rack take it to a machine shop and have them make you a bushing but that may or may not be cheaper than super Dave. Buddy of mine works at Douglass barrels so when I needed one he just measured it out and cut me one from a chromolly gun barrel. I had him turn it to .003 press fit of the id of the housing . Then I heated the housing and presses it in. And had him turn ID .005 clearance for the shaft. So if you have a local machine shop they can do it. The question is whether they will and how much .

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
Ugg I was afraid you would say that, were trying to find a guy at a machine shop now if we can get ahold of him. So even if say somebody bought a brand new can am they would eventually have the same prob finding this part? Thats sad if so. I love my machine (Pebbles) but so far its not given me much pleasure and it doesnt have many miles or hours on it to be a 2017, and of course my dad has not let me live that down. Thinking of selling and just letting him get what the neighbors got that i've not heard the end of it. Yamaha, I just like the looks of my commander, and this winter I dont have to buy a heater. Thanks for the info Ill pass it alone.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts