Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After warming up 10-15 min: I get10th of a second hesitation , CEL, Maintenance required, and Limp mode, speedometer goes to zero, loses DPS. It will drive all day like this just fine but no DPS. It will set a code for speed sensor.(replaced that with no difference). If you shut it off and let it cool for like 5 min, It will run as normal but do the same thing in about the same time as you let it cool down. It sets quicker in warmer weather and takes longer in cooler weather. I've had it to the dealer and they have (no clue).

Seems something is thermal cycling. I'd really appreciate any suggestions, wild guesses, I don't know where to start without playing parts cannon.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Did you replace the speed sensor with oem? Did the connector and wiring look good? Has the buggy been submerged? I'd guess the power steering is wigging out because it's looking for speed sensor input.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OEM Speed sensor. Connector looked fine as far as I can tell. I mean it works for a while. I purchased this one used with 400mi on it. Condition looked flawless. I think that's a yes on the DPS. gets confused when speed sensor goes away. I guess I should completely trace the sensor wires from point to point..that's a pain but I guess that's where I'm at. I can't think of anything but expanding a connector when it gets warm.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Do you have the service manual troubleshooting info and a meter? If you need, I can post some of that tomorrow. I'm waiting on an appliance delivery tonight, and nobody else is chiming in yet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, so I posted this same issue about a year ago. You were trying to assist me.

So, I just now tore into it again determined to find something I could fix. Got all the panels off and was and had the switch/key cluster out too, trying to clear the Maintenance required and pull codes again. Started it and wanted to see what happened when I unplugged the speed sensor. Engine died. Yep, not the right speed sensor. Realized that the "speed sensor" I replaced was the engine speed sensor. So, where the heck is it then? Put a jack under the rear wheels and switched to "on" Shift to neutral and spin the tires. 1-3 mph..okay. Unplug the big round sensor at the rear, nope. I finally found there was a gray connecter with looks like a 6 pin arranged in a circle, unplug, spin tires, that's the one. I'm thinking to myself, "congradulations you dope" the "VSS".

So I found out unless you have a specialized tool and a lot of patience you will be doing a gear oil change as well because you have to pull the (4x4 electric shifter..I think) to get at the bolt that holds it in. Promptly made a mess on the freshly cleaned garage floor. Meh, best I change it anyway. So pulled the sensor, and as described by others it had just a small amount of metal on the magnet. I'll clean it and see if this helps.

Everyone can have a good laugh at me and I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Sounds like you replaced the crank position sensor. The VSS should only have 3 pins/conductors. Sounds like you're on the right track now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts