Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Wondering if I can get some opinions or advice on my steering rack. On the left side (drivers side) I have a significant amount of play in and out at the steering rack. This movement does not result in any movement making it to the steering stem itself like it doesn't when I move the passenger side. The inner and outer tie rods are as firm as can be as well.

4800 miles on the machine - 100% stock. Passenger side steering rack bushing has very minimal play in it as well.

Ride report: When driving down the road you'll feel it sort of bind in the steering wheel then when it frees up it'll dart to either the left or the right, due to toe being so far off I'm sure.

The question is - Is it replacement time or would I be able to rebuild it? Most of what I've found from searching shows issues with the passenger side bushing but this isn't the case with mine.

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
There is a tension spanner nut under the pinion shaft. You can tighten that up to remove the play in the left side. Only place I know that does rebuilds on 15 up rack is super Dave's bushing in PA. His rebuild is a much better option than any aftermarket new rack. Wicked build does not make a rack for 15 and up models.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a tension spanner nut under the pinion shaft. You can tighten that up to remove the play in the left side. Only place I know that does rebuilds on 15 up rack is super Dave's bushing in PA. His rebuild is a much better option than any aftermarket new rack. Wicked build does not make a rack for 15 and up models.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
Thanks, I'll tighten that spanner nut up.

I was going to call wicked as they say 14-15 on their site: 2014-15 Can-Am Commander Rack & Pinion w/ EPS (Quick Ratio)

But now that I have a free option I'll give that a shot first then most likely call superdave if I don't get so lucky.

Thanks for the response!

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
They are brain dead at wicked. The rack you posted is for a 14 model only. The rack changed in 15 but wicked has never updated the website. Several have ordered they rack only to find out it doesn't fit. That rack has 5 mounting bolts same as 11/14 15 model only has 4 mounting bolts. And the couple from rack to dps isn't even close to fitting either .

Just don't over tighten that nut or it will cause it to lock up. Your binding cause it's so loose.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The steering rack is out and I took the nut off with a 19mm hex socket. It was stuck on there pretty good, I ended up tapping it out with a hammer to the end of my ratchet. After tightening it back up there is still a good amount of play in there. I'll call superdave in the morning and see what he can do.

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
If the inner wear puck isn't worn out it will get rid of both. It actually cups around the shaft to ceter it and tighten up the backlash between the gears.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts