Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
1st post after buying a well used(mudded) 800. I have flipped thru and read a ton of posts regarding this stupid design attaching the secondary clutch with double nuts to a threaded stud. But I must be real stupid or just not grasping what everyone describes.I have the helix, spring, shaft, and both halves removed but can not figure out how to get that stud off because it spins freely both directions and don't see a way to pin it in place. I want to remove it and replace it with an upgraded bolt since everyone says its a weak point if you keep original in. If there is a way to pin it do I just clamp some big vice grips on there and turn; is it normal or reverse threaded?
0226201731_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
681 Posts
See attachment #4.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks!! Ordering those new tools for my arsenal shortly. Guessing I just didn't have the right verbiage for my search, duh.
So for removal should I just grab that stud with a set of channel locks and remove? Do you know if that design is better and that I should go back with similar, or swap to normal bolt head?

·
Registered
681 Posts
Well, they are using jam nuts in the instructions, and there is supposedly no threadlocker used. I can't answer your second question. We have experienced clutch guys here. Hopefully someone else will chime in. How would you get that special tool in there after assembly if using a regular bolt? Or would the helix hold the countershaft?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I appreciate all that info. Trying to get this rig up and going for a trip to the Ozarks. But I have time.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts