Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to forum. Doing some research for possible purchase of a leftover 2015 Commander XT 800 in camo. Am a long time BRP customer with Skidoo Snowmobiles. Also own a 2012 Yamaha Rhino, but need something a little more sporty for teenage boys. Don't do a lot of highly technical or hard riding, mostly 2 tracks and sightseeing in the UP of Michigan. What known/common issues are out there with this machine? What are highly recommended mods as I am sure will need some things addresses, similar to Skidoo, they don't come ready to problem-free ride right from the factory?

Will definitely be adding roof top and front windshield as dust is high in area we ride. Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Not much needed. First thing will likely be the front a-arm bushings at 600-1000 miles, upgrading to Delrin bushings will last twice as long. Other than that, I just did brake pads on mine at 1500 miles, not much difference from '14 to '15. Still on original belt.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Turbo,

Dealer says he expects more aggressive promotion first of March, so I'm waiting to make final decision until then.

·
Registered
358 Posts
so the kids are getting the Rhino? you'll love the new machine. get a maverick intake pre-filter. search. search search. enjoy.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a 2015 800 and love it. No issues yet. When you go with roof take into consideration a low profile roof. Wish I did. The roof I have makes it a little higher than I'd like. low hanging branches. Make sure you know to stay in low and when to use high. I've added a bunch of stuff and I'm sure you will too. look into console cover for the heat. I'd say thermotec but that heat will be welcomed in the winter. Lots of informative people here and very helpful. Enjoy

·
Registered
118 Posts
I have a 15 800 xt in camo 1050 miles ,0 issues with it . Just pulled the cover to inspect the belt ,looks brand new . So far have added a 20 inch led light bar to the roof , backup lights , sport roof ,front reciever hitch . I plan to install sport low , a racer tech 2 inch lift and dragonfire doors

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Camo, there is nothing easier to keep clean and good looking.
Get a Maverick post filter before you go anywhere. Buy a spare Maverick 212 belt and carry it with you. I know you mentioned trail riding, but there will be sticks, upgrade the skids with uhmw and you don't need the whole kit but seriously, get the laterals for each side, they could save your life buy keeping sticks from coming up through. You should have a rear view mirror, brp has a good big one, and I believe in the soft roofs , title tops makes one, use when you need it, roll it up and stuff it when you don't, hard roofs hold the noise in. Buy a winch cable bumper and pull all the cable out and get some oil on a rag and lube the cable to protect the cable form rust, do it a couple of times in the beginning. After that a good light bar if you doing night stuff and troys console cover rather than the sticky stuff to help control noise and heat if it bothers you or the missus. After that was ch the kids if they drive it, tell them to keep it out of sport mode, or stay in the rhino. Get a good grease gun and high quality grease and keep at it he nipples. Buy a set of super daves a arm bushings right of the get go and shelve them for a couple of months, you will need them. Ask mama for racer tech lift and springs for Christmas next year and do the job through the winter, your golden now!!!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. All sound like very good ideas. Yes, kids would take Rhino. Wife and I in Commander.

Will use the suggestions to search this forum and narrow my research. I was a little concerned after reading all the differential issues in prior years, but sounds like those are resolved with 2015.

Sticks are definitely a concern coming through the floor pan, so upgrade to skid is high on list. If all goes as currently planned, I'll be an owner and active member on this site next week. Thanks

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pulled the trigger. Pick her up tomorrow. Dealer was wrong about improved incentives on Commanders. Some other models got improved promo, but Commander stayed nearly the same. Immediate spend will be on spare belt, rear view mirror, GPS mount, upgraded skid plate, Maverick filter, and winch bumper stop. Will probably drive it for a while to get used to it before I look into Sport Low mod, Thermotec, roof, back screen. Have a 7' inside height enclosed trailer ordered, so don't want to get a roof before I see how much room I have loading it in the trailer. Gonna do more research on what tools I should carry onboard.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yep. Will double as enclosed snowmobile trailer in winter. Had to remove the roll cage on Yamaha Rhino to haul it in my old trailer, so spec'ed new trailer to eliminate the extra work.

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
I had a 24' pace with beaver tail and a terex would fit with roof no problem. Had couple inches to spare once inside.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the info, Ace. My rhino has large tires and the sport roof has a flare on tail. It measures 74" from ground to tip of flare on roof.

I ordered an ATC (Aluminum Trailer Corp) 7x14 with 1 foot extra height, so inside is 7' inside height. It has the fold down door, with transition flap. It also has a 6' wedge nose for gear storage.

I ordered a Maier Sport Roof, Kolpin Tilting front windshield, Ram GPS mount, and Can-Am SXS rear view mirror last night for the Commander. Still trying to determine best skid plate. Convinced UHMW is the way to go, but deciding on brand is where I am stuck right now. Gonna pick up the Maverick filter when I pick up the SXS at dealer later today. Appreciate the help provided by forum members.

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
Uhmw 1/2" with the extra thickness it helps protect the bolts from getting ripped out. I bought the one with one piece belly pan. So it only has three pieces in total . A lot stronger with less connection points . Factory uhmw is where I got mine.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmmm. I had not seen that one. Like less pieces and seams as it is less opportunity to jam something into seam. We do a lot of two-track and woods riding, so lots of sticks and stumps in UP Michigan logging country. Did pick up spare belt while at dealer today, as well.

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
That's why I bought the one piece. My old rzr had five piece and hit a rock and peeled one piece off. So when I found the one piece belly I went for it. 3000+ later all still good.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I also have the Factory UTV UHMW skids, but in 3/8". just got back from AZ. where we did a lot of black diamond rock crawling trails. These plates worked perfectly.

·
Registered
2 Posts
New to the forum, looking for some help.

I am looking at a 2015 800XT camo with 2000 miles on it. Has been kept outside in ND, camo is purple, rust on the aarms and frame. Used on a ranch so full of cow crap and straw. Seems to run ok and everything works. Grease zerks look pretty dry. They are asking $10k which seems ridiculous. High trade in is only $6k, they might have given them $5k.

The reveiws I read say these are hot in the cab...how hot? They also say the rear end trailing arms stink and ride like pogo sticks. Opinions on that? Finally, they say the low ground clearance is a PIA...I crawled underneath and see some pretty large dents in the skid "plates" (plastic) from hitting rocks or whatever.

I am looking at the vehicle to ride our ditch trails around here locally with my significant other. We have ATVs for our mountain trips.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts