Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a recent experience with my 2015 Commander that I thought might be useful to others.

For several months, when I would go out to start the Commander in the cold mornings (to plow my driveway mostly) it would start and then idle down and stall. It would take me sometimes 4-5 times to get it to keep running to warm up. Mine kept getting worse until it wouldn't stay running at all.

The first problem where it wouldn't stay running was a dirty MAP sensor. Once I cleaned that out the sensor, the commander kept running even in the cold.

The second problem, where it would not stay running at all, was due to a torn "Intake Neck". Basically this is a rubber connector that connects the throttle body to the intake manifold on the commander. The replacement of the Intake Neck part was relatively easy, less the removal of the plastic panels of course!

Wanted to share this experience with others. I'm sure some of you already knew all this!.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks, I have been experiencing this same thing with my 2012. Acefire and others pointed out the dirty MAF sensor though I have not yet cleaned it due to lack of time. It was also noted that on my 2012 to use 87 octane fuel only. the higher octane fuel can cause hard starting. I plan to clean the sensor as soon as I have the time.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I have been experiencing this same thing with my 2012. Acefire and others pointed out the dirty MAF sensor though I have not yet cleaned it due to lack of time. It was also noted that on my 2012 to use 87 octane fuel only. the higher octane fuel can cause hard starting. I plan to clean the sensor as soon as I have the time.
Sure thing. I had heard about the MAP sensor for a while and just never got to it either. Also saw the posts about the 87 boctane gas - never would have guessed that lower octane would hurt from my old days of hot rods! The intake neck failure wasn't expected though, but made me do the MAP sensor at the same time.
On the MAP sensor, now that I know where it is, all you have to do is take off the cover over the center console to get to it. Then it is 1 screw and a wire. Pretty easy to clean and I also bought some sensor cleaner to help next time.

·
Super Moderator
25,807 Posts
Yeah the high burns to slow and cold for these lower compression engines . Now with high compression and a good bit of advanced timing you would need the higher octane. But the slow burn when cold or at high altitude just isn't enough to make it go boom.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts