Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey yall, so I traded for a 2015 can am commander 800, after ordering a lot of wrong parts, found out it has a 1000 engine. Rebuilt the motor, its running on the front cylinder. I've taken it to 2 dealerships, replaced wiring harness, engine harness, map sensors, ecm, rec/reg, o2 sensors, crank sensor, injectors, throttle body, fuel pump
I can unplug the rear injector and it idles a little higher, unplug the front and it dies. Got plenty compression. Timing is dead on. Dealership changed the dash and ecm cause they said it wasn't compatible with the 1000. Now the heads I took off had the big intake valves, the heads I installed didn't. Would that make it run on just the front cylinder?

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
You didn't mention the coil, wires, and plugs as being replaced or ruled out as defective. Did the motor run when you got it?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Coil is next, plugs and wires were replaced. It didn't run due to the top ends needing built. I own a local atv shop with over 30 years experience and this one has kicked my butt. It's my personal bike and my first can am. Getting a little disgusted. I was reading some other forums and I seen people talking about all you need to swap a 1000 is a few internals and a flash. That IS NOT what the dealer is telling me and can am doesn't support it. I dont know what to do

·
Administrator
27,517 Posts
So what is the dealer telling you ? 1800 is little step for a ecm. All the ecm's come from factory with no map. Then dealer has to get a map from can am to program the ecm. Can am doesn't support it being the Vin is mated to a 800 and it has a 1000. So they have no 1000 Vin to program. It's all bs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So what is the dealer telling you ? 1800 is little step for a ecm. All the ecm's come from factory with no map. Then dealer has to get a map from can am to program the ecm. Can am doesn't support it being the Vin is mated to a 800 and it has a 1000. So they have no 1000 Vin to program. It's all bs.
Dealer told me it was ready, got it home and it definitely isn't. I'm going to try and put my original heads that I took off back on (bigger valves) replace speed sensor, crank sensor and coil and see what happens, going to replace the intake gaskets too. Idk what else to do. I was told they programed to a 1000 xmr. It's frustrating to say the least. Not to mention I wasn't told about it from the start, bought it for an 800

·
Administrator
27,517 Posts
Is it a mav 1000? Totally different map for mav . 27 hp difference. If they mapped for mav and it's not mav engine or its a mav and map was for a mav. It's going to be way off on timing and fuel.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Is it a factory 1000 motor or the 800 with some big bore kit slapped on it? Can you ask the previous owner what it actually is? Are you throwing new or used parts at it? I was curious as to why the heads/valves were different and why you changed them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Is it a factory 1000 motor or the 800 with some big bore kit slapped on it? Can you ask the previous owner what it actually is? Are you throwing new or used parts at it? I was curious as to why the heads/valves were different and why you changed them.
It wouldn't be a good idea for me to track the dude I got it from down. It was a Facebook marketplace deal. I've put new parts on it. Std 1000 bore, I found out the hard way that it was a 1000 by the wrist pins and the cam chain tensioner locations. I had bought a set of supposedly 1000 heads bu they had smaller valves. How can I tell if its a mav motor? Another feller told me that if its a mav motor the ecm and tune will majorly effect the fuel and timing which it sounds like he's right. Someone before me put some money in this bike. Stm secondary, cv tech primary, chopped cage.

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Ace is the one that mentioned the Mav motor, and he knows his stuff. Thinking about this, I chose for comparison sake a 2015 commander 1000 engine and naturally aspirated 2015 Mav engine. Looking at the parts fiches for the heads, the Mav has bigger valves, so that may be your clue. Also, if you bought a Commander bare head and swapped the (apparent) Mav cams into it, that may have a bearing, as the Mav cams are different, too. You might want to look at some related info in a recent thread by member Spud.
Give her a go More HP | Can-Am Commander Forum (commanderforums.org)

·
Administrator
27,517 Posts
Mav has higher compression pistons bigger valves and different cams. You also have to have a tool to lock the cams in place when Timing them. If not they will move just enough to screw the timing up. Commander you can get away without using the tool. Troy found this out on his 14 mav when it wouldn't ran. Bought the tool reset the timing and was back to full power.

Commander pistons are 10:1 and mav are 11:1.

You can get Part number of one of the cams and check it against parts list. But if it has bigger valves its a mav engine if it's factory and not after market. 800 and 1000 use same heads and pretty sure same valves but different cams.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts