Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
2014 Commander XT1000
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gidday,

I have had my commander a few months and have noticed the last few times i have been out that when going down hill, throttle off engine braking all is good but then when you apply the throttle lightly to maintain a bit of speed, it seems to lurch forward and then load and unload the engine brake. Down a long hill while trying to maintain a safe speed it continuously loads and unloads between drive and overrun (engine braking) but it feels as though it lurches on and off the engine brake. I am not sure if this is normal and it was doing it before but it was new to me and i never noticed, or there is something not quite right. I gave it a good service at christmas and checked all the drive shaft and cv joints etc and all seemed fine. The oil that came out of the rear diff was pretty silvery, but a mate of mine said that was fairly normal and not to worry about it.
How can i check the back lash in the transfer box, and how much is permissible?

Any help or advice muchly appreciated.

· Registered
2014 Commander XT1000
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pretty sure its not the belt. I fitted a new belt when i bought it just so i knew the history and when on overrun (engine braking) it is fine. I am thinking maybe there is excessive backlash in the drivetrain some where. Any ideas where i can pick up a workshop manual online? Happy to pay.

· Registered
2014 Commander XT1000
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Canned ham for the link. It worked a treat.

My machine is over at the hunting hut, hopefully until next Christmas when i will bring it back for a service. As long as it lasts until then i will persevere and when i have it back i will go for a drive with the belt cover off and see if there is anything unusual.

· Registered
8 Posts
Hi there, I know this was posted a few months ago and no help from me but I have a 2014 commander 1000 and have a very similar issue. When riding in Oregon during this past summer after a few hours of riding the car seems to surge when going downhill with slight throttle. This seems to happen when the car is well heated, not overheated but heat soaked, I can watch the tach and see the RPM go up and down. Give it some gas and steady, let off completely and steady, someone said it could be the speed sensor or maybe the MAPTS.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts