Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears our O2 sensor went out and caused the Commander to run too rich and it clogged the catalytic converter... other than having an expensive OEM part put in by a dealer what are some other options to consider to fix the issue?

thanks in advance for the advice

·
Administrator
26,374 Posts
Aftermarket exhaust with no cat . And that same o2 sensor from auto parts store is around 35$. If you put a slip on single can exhaust on its 1/2 to 2/3's cheaper than factory muffler with the cat . Or find the y pipe and factory muffler from 11/13 model and it has no cat . Ecm has no clue whether the cat is there or not . It just reads the o2 sensor and adjust fuel accordingly. But bad o2 sensor just have coded and put machine in limp mode long before the cat stopped up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aftermarket exhaust with no cat . And that same o2 sensor from auto parts store is around 35$. If you put a slip on single can exhaust on its 1/2 to 2/3's cheaper than factory muffler with the cat . Or find the y pipe and factory muffler from 11/13 model and it has no cat . Ecm has no clue whether the cat is there or not . It just reads the o2 sensor and adjust fuel accordingly. But bad o2 sensor just have coded and put machine in limp mode long before the cat stopped up.
Thank you - I will start looking for aftermarket exhaust with no cat... I am guessing there are probably kits out there that will fit... thank you again for your help

·
Administrator
26,374 Posts
Yeah search commander exhaust. Probably 20 companies making one or more . Just look for ones with quiet Cores. If not it will be loud.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah search commander exhaust. Probably 20 companies making one or more . Just look for ones with quiet Cores. If not it will be loud.
Thank you - so, since I am a novice at this... I will need more than just a slip on muffler... I will need a pipe that will replace the cat and then a silencer or slip on muffler... is that correct?

·
Administrator
26,374 Posts
The cat is in your muffler. 14 and up muffler is almost twice the price as a 13 muffler. You just need a slip on muffler for a 15 model and a quiet core which most cone with the muffler.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The cat is in your muffler. 14 and up muffler is almost twice the price as a 13 muffler. You just need a slip on muffler for a 15 model and a quiet core which most cone with the muffler.
Ok… now I get it… my muffler was red hot when I took it to the shop… a good slip on with a quit core is what I will start shopping for… thank you again!

·
Administrator
26,374 Posts
Also be the spark arrestor clogged up . It will do same thing and clogged cat . Spark arrestor is a fairly common problem when running mud or a lot of off road wet conditions. But thats pretty bad !!

·
Registered
12 Posts
It appears our O2 sensor went out and caused the Commander to run too rich and it clogged the catalytic converter... other than having an expensive OEM part put in by a dealer what are some other options to consider to fix the issue?

thanks in advance for the advice
partszilla best place I found for parts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts