Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to pass this on for future 2014 owners that plan to mount large LED light bars and lights in general to the roll cage.....Can-Am has decided to make a few changes to the roll cages on the 2014 models. In the pictures you can see what I mean. With the addition of some gussets, a 40" LED light bar will present a few issues when it comes to mounting. This is not really a big deal..... but a little creativity will be needed if you do not want to modify or remove the gussets. There is approximately 29 1/2" between the gussets so a 30" LED light bar will present the same issues.

The same goes for the back of the roll cage. I plan to mount a 6" dual row in the center of the cage facing the rear......but with the gussets, it will not be as easy as just bolting the clamps to the roll cage. I plan on using an aluminum "plate" to mount to the roll cage mounts and then to the light assembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
Thanks for the info!!

Jason

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just wanted to pass this on for future 2014 owners that plan to mount large LED light bars and lights in general to the roll cage.....Can-Am has decided to make a few changes to the roll cages on the 2014 models. In the pictures you can see what I mean. With the addition of some gussets, a 40" LED light bar will present a few issues when it comes to mounting. This is not really a big deal..... but a little creativity will be needed if you do not want to modify or remove the gussets. There is approximately 29 1/2" between the gussets so a 30" LED light bar will present the same issues.

The same goes for the back of the roll cage. I plan to mount a 6" dual row in the center of the cage facing the rear......but with the gussets, it will not be as easy as just bolting the clamps to the roll cage. I plan on using an aluminum "plate" to mount to the roll cage mounts and then to the light assembly.
Is it the same cage, just with more support?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ahhh, but the real question is "Why?" I don't think BRP would incur the added cost in material and tooling unless there was a reason. Did one of their cages squish?, Hurt someone? A new federal mandate? Or out of the kindness of their heart....

That's exactly what I was thinking......never really heard of someone getting squished but it is possible.

I began looking at these gussets a little differently today. If you look at the picture I posted of the front of the cage......the gussets have slotted holes cut in to them for adjustability....if you choose to mount something there. From center to center....it measures 39 3/16" and are drilled for a 1/4" bolt or a 2" U-bolt. As well as the "strategic" holes drilled (5/16") in the inner support which go all the way through and are aligned with the other side. I wonder if they have a specific use?

It does kind of suck though............I'm having to try to figure out different ways to mount things because of these extra little pieces of metal. But, I love a challenge anyway.

Attachments

·
Registered
159 Posts
So other than the gussets, have they changed the roll cage dimensions. I would rather grind the gussets off than have to buy a new roof and soft cab. Do you know if there are any other dimension changes to the 14s?

·
Registered
3,535 Posts
So other than the gussets, have they changed the roll cage dimensions. I would rather grind the gussets off than have to buy a new roof and soft cab. Do you know if there are any other dimension changes to the 14s?
For your protection physically and financially I personally wouldn't modify the roll cage by grinding gussets. If something would happen like a roll over and you where seriously injured and it was found you modified the cage your chances of getting anything from BRP or your insurance company may be a major battle. Just my thoughts on the subject.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Thanks Hunter, I hear what you're saying and appreciate the advise but the kindof riding we do there isn't much chance of a roll over. Of course you never know what kind of situation you may get into.
I've got a bunch of stuff on my 12 and am hoping to transfer it to a 14. Just want to know what they have actually changed on the 14s.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks Hunter, I hear what you're saying and appreciate the advise but the kindof riding we do there isn't much chance of a roll over. Of course you never know what kind of situation you may get into.
I've got a bunch of stuff on my 12 and am hoping to transfer it to a 14. Just want to know what they have actually changed on the 14s.
Everything on my 13 1000 ltd switch to a 14 cage fit except the roof.
I trimmed the roof to fit and it works alright but to be right a new roof could be expected.
It is heaver (only tested by lifting the two)and looks a bunch tougher than the previous cage.

·
Registered
214 Posts
You can see from owners of 14's that install the Blingstar UTV4001 doors that the angle or the spread of the dual tubes behind the seats are different because that filler panel that fits the previous models perfectly, now has to be bent or modified to fit the 14's. I emailed Blingstar to see if they intend to make a '14 specific filler panel but have not gotten any reply...

·
Registered
12 Posts
My guess would be they thinned out the tube and put gussets in to give them the rops certification with a thinner walled tube hence saving money

·
Premium Member
2,765 Posts
I dought they changed the the tubing thickness and only added the gussets for the additional support to the cage. The way the cage is bolted on, it tends to tweek very easy in a light rollover on the side.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I know this is an old post but was wondering if anyone found out or knows what the thickness of the cage tube is on a 2014?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
If it's the same as the bumpers, they are .053" wall. Basically same thickness as 1" emt electrical conduit. (not thick)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Ahhh, but the real question is "Why?" I don't think BRP would incur the added cost in material and tooling unless there was a reason. Did one of their cages squish?, Hurt someone? A new federal mandate? Or out of the kindness of their heart....

That's exactly what I was thinking......never really heard of someone getting squished but it is possible.

I began looking at these gussets a little differently today. If you look at the picture I posted of the front of the cage......the gussets have slotted holes cut in to them for adjustability....if you choose to mount something there. From center to center....it measures 39 3/16" and are drilled for a 1/4" bolt or a 2" U-bolt. As well as the "strategic" holes drilled (5/16") in the inner support which go all the way through and are aligned with the other side. I wonder if they have a specific use?

It does kind of suck though............I'm having to try to figure out different ways to mount things because of these extra little pieces of metal. But, I love a challenge anyway.
Those slots and extra bracketry up front are mounting holes for the addition of the Can Am 39" light bar and their Can Am hanger brackets which fit these slotted holes!!

I know first hand since it's what I've got on mine!!

Cheers boys👍

1 - 20 of 40 Posts