Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the last 1/3 of my adventure I was running around in the foothills of Pikes Peak in Colorado. We had been cruising around for about an hour when I noticed that the temp gauge was pegged and the display was scrolling some sort of message about limp home mode. I shut the motor off which is not my preference when overheating, but didn't have an option. I noticed that the fan did not run after shutdown like normal. After a bit of troubleshooting I found that the primary fan circuit breaker had opened up and was very hot. I moved a 30A fuse from the lights to the circuit breaker position and started it back up. In less than a minute or 2 the thing cooled down. After cooling the circuit breaker I swapped it back in. I also topped off the coolant resovour with some bottled water we had. The 30A fuse I swapped in was very hot, almost painful to hold pinched between my fingers when I switched it back out.

We ran for another couple hours before calling it a day. I kept a very close eye on the temp gauge. It didn't get up over half way again.

I am thinking that the fan either needs lubrication or replacement. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
12,909 Posts
Spin the fan by hand and see if it is dragging . Also dry fan motor bearing will make the fan motor use more power and using more power makes more heat . If you feel a motor problem change it out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: bronchole

·
Registered
8 Posts
Spin the fan by hand and see if it is dragging . Also dry fan motor bearing will make the fan motor use more power and using more power makes more heat . If you feel a motor problem change it out

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Should the fan spin by hand in my 2012 Commander Max 1000? it will not for me

1 - 5 of 5 Posts