Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone may have posted about this already but I can not find anything about it. I have a 2013 commander 1000 Ltd and it started popping out of gear only when going down hill. If I barely touch the throttle it’ll stay in but as soon as I let off of the throttle it pops out and free wheels for a little bit. As I get on the break it’ll pop back into gear. I just changed the belt and no fix. Anyone have any suggestions I would really appreciate it.
Thanks much, Brever

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Is it actually popping out of gear or is the engine brake just disengaging?

Stock clutches?

If it's just the engine braking, check the springs and cups in the oneway bearing assembly.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is it actually popping out of gear or is the engine brake just disengaging?

Stock clutches?

If it's just the engine braking, check the springs and cups in the oneway bearing assembly.
Everything is stock. When it pops out of gear it’s like it’s free wheeling and it whines and clicks but if I give it the throttle it will hold back. When I bought the belt the dealer said it might be the one way bearing but I don’t know. Is the one way bearing hard to change?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sounds like the oneway is not working correctly. Are you the original owner?
I am the original owner and it has been garage kept every day. It only has about 300 miles on it. Only used on the farm.

·
Registered
326 Posts
If you go back into the clutches, remove the belt and first of all make sure it is the correct belt. Then reach down in between the primary sheaves and see if you can rotate the collar in between the sheaves. If you can rotate it both directions then your bearing is shot. You should only be able to turn it one direction. You will need to disassemble the primary clutch to change it.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
There's a decent chance that the grease in the one way area has gotten tar-like. The little springs and their respective cups (caps) may be sticking. Be careful when you remove the one way collar as under it are the spings and cups - these are little ink pen size springs and cup that will shoot into never never land if you're not careful. Wrap a shop towel or something around the collar and hold to the inner sheave as you remove the collar to contain them.

Also, I would replace the factory one way bearings with sealed ones way bearings from uatv-tech.com He has european made skf bearings for this application. This should make shifting easier, if you ever have to rock the machine or goose the throttle to get it to allow you to change gearshift positions. I replaced those bearings about 2500 miles ago and they're still going strong.

It's not too difficult of a job. You do not need a special tool to remove the outside half of the primary clutch. You will need a little of a special grease, which uatv.tech also has. This is the a video that acefire did, which explains and shows the procedure for servicing the stock one ways or replaceing them:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts