Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a ride last weekend in northern Arizona, temps between 70 and 80 degrees. Machine was running cool according to the temp gauge. Returning from 4,000 ft elevation to 7,000 was smelling fuel (tank about 1/2-2/3 full). Pulled over shut it off to check map, restarted and then immediately died. Could hear the fuel pump running but no start. Beer break for 15-20 minutes fired right up never did it again. Trip was 52 miles out 90ish back.
I pulled the fuel pump just to see what I had going on in the tank, clean as could be like it was new. No filth in the tank either. Plan to check fuel pressure while it's apart.

I can blow both ways thru the vent tube with no restriction. Should vent tube have a check valve? I had no fuel smell while the tank was 3/4 to full. I know that Ace said to reroute the vent to the top of the roll bar behind the cab (I have not gotten to that yet but it is on my list).
Is it possible for these things to vapor lock? The fuel line up to the injectors is so short I wouldn't think so.

That's issue number one, I'll get to the others one at a time.

·
Administrator
27,410 Posts
Definitely check the fuel pressure. Pumps that are getting weak tend to now work well after they get hot. They cool off then good again.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Ace, best place to obtain one of these pumps? Best brand?
Is there supposed to be a check valve in the vent line allowing vapor out nothing in? I noticed that a small amount of fuel had dribbled down the frame from the fuel tank vent hose. Guessing that maybe the vapor condensed back into liquid and dripped.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks cannedham, I will check fuel pressure and most likely buy one of those pumps whether I need it or not. Not a fan of getting stranded in the middle of nowhere. Fortunately, I was with other people and only 15 miles from our destination had my Commander decided it was not going to start back up.
Gotta get this machine ready for the next ride and next time Ace heads out west.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
A few thoughts-

When it wouldn't start, did you wonder about vapor lock, and unscrew the gas cap? That would answer venting questions. Did you happen to be pressing accelerator pedal at time of no start? Pedal pressed during cranking activates "drowned mode", and the fuel injectors don't open. Are you using premium fuel? Others have reported issues using premium in these non-mav motor machines, especially at altitude.

·
Administrator
27,410 Posts
Thanks cannedham, I will check fuel pressure and most likely buy one of those pumps whether I need it or not. Not a fan of getting stranded in the middle of nowhere. Fortunately, I was with other people and only 15 miles from our destination had my Commander decided it was not going to start back up.
Gotta get this machine ready for the next ride and next time Ace heads out west.
Moab Oct 2022

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I did not check the cap at the time, and never press on the pedal when starting. Only use low octane (87-89) top tier fuel in it. After the ride, tore it apart and blew thru the vent tube both ways without resistance.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Not sure I'll be able to afford the fuel just to get to Utah from AZ if it keeps going up. Paid $5.27 a gallon for diesel last time, and it is approaching $6.00 a gallon some places around here.

·
Administrator
27,410 Posts
5.55 day before yesterday here. And yes if it get any higher we may not make it either. We have to mid August to cancel reservations. At 5 it's 1000 a head just in fuel with average 3 to a vehicle. House sleeps 20 at 6k. We had two houses rented cancel one already from drop outs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ouch, a grand in fuel alone, little rich for my tax bracket. We are taking our travel trailer to Williams in June for a few days. I get a whopping 7-9 miles to the gallon with that thing behind the truck, so about $200+ in fuel. Williams is only about 130 miles from me (mostly up hill).
Sure glad we are depending on third world countries for oil instead of using our own...................

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cannedham, is that Bosch fuel pump just matter of installing the oem fuel pickup that's on the factory pump etc? Or is there a specific vehicle that needs to be specified?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
^^^^^^^^^that part #^^^^^^^^^^
It comes with a hose and a couple of clamps (for your parts collection) and a rubber isolator, which I needed. I had to carve the isolator a bit with an exacto and dremel. I needed the new isolator, and had to make a new rubber piece that goes between the bottom of the pump assembly and the tank bottom. My original isolator and rubber piece were mush. This pump is a USA made Bosch, the original is a China Bosch. This pump also has full size spade connectors, and runs on the original 5 amp fuse. I highly recommend it, and the price is right, at least at rockauto. Just type in that part#. I used my old pick-up filter, but ra sells them too, should you want a new one.
Tire Automotive tire Asphalt Road surface Auto part
Gas Auto part Pipe Cylinder Fashion accessory

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Many thanks to you and Ace!
Can't hurt to throw one in. No idea how old the one in it now is. I'm pretty sure the tank has been replaced. Now that I know what the pump looks like I should be able to determine that.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
That's good thinking, since you already have it apart. Mine just happened to quit when I pulled in to the shed. It gave absolutely no indication of upcoming failure. They call me "lucky", among other four-letter nicknames. As ol' Clint would say- "Are you feeling lucky?" :cool:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts