Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my name is Eric. Just purchased a 2012 CanAm Commander, took it out on our first run and discovered the 4x4 doesn't work. It lights up on screen, but the wheels do not spin.

Couple guys helped me out and jacked up the front end, and the wheels spin while the 4x4 is engaged.

Everyone is saying the differential is probably bad, but they are expensive and I'm sure even more expensive to have install???

Also the other issue was, it grinds if you try to go directly into High. If you are at a roll, and go from Low to High, it goes right in.

Anything to check to confirm if I need a new Differential or the other shifting probelm?

Very new and green when it comes to mechanical stuff, so simple instructions are very helpful lol.

Thank you all in advance!

·
Administrator
26,374 Posts
Grab a hold of the right front inner cv joint pull outward if it moves the tip is broke off the axle in the diff. If its not broke get all fours off the ground. 4wd in and shifter ik neutral. Spin rear wheels and make sure the front drive shaft is actually engaged.

·
Administrator
26,374 Posts
As for shifting never shift while moving. It will take its toll on the gearbox. Guessing the secondary is creeping do to oneway bearings needing serviced or replaced.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Mine does the same thing where the gears grind when going straight to High. If you go all the way down to Low in mine and back up I don’t have that problem. Will defiantly get it checked out. Wasn’t sure if that was just another commander quirk or not.

·
Administrator
26,374 Posts
No it if it's grinding while at idle and sitting still. You got a one-way bearing issue .

·
Administrator
26,374 Posts
If it's going into gear then grinding on take off. Check cable adjustment. If that don't fit it. It's inside the gearbox . Bad bearing, worn gears or bad shaft .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts