Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Had some kids here the other day doing yard work and putting around in the commander and my wife called me saying the brakes wouldn’t stop it when she pulled it in to the garage. I got home and the belt was just pulling hard.
tore it apart and checked the bolts and everything was tight. Put her back together and everything was good.Fast forward to day and we are playing in the creek and on the way home it starts doing again right after water somehow getting into the cover and swamping out. I got her drained and moving again then the belt starts grabbing. Got her stuck on a hill trying to turn around because one it’s full bore driving forward with the brake squashed and too my gear box and I can’t get a easy shift on a good day even after a thousand different adjustments. Any help would be great because I’m about to roll the pos down a cliff. I’ve had nothing but problems out of the bike. Every time I go out it’s something.

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
Sounds like the weights are sticking. Pull cover off you should be able to look at the sheaves and see if they are both touching the belt . You can stick your finger in where the weights at and should be able to move them easily. If not the are seized on the bolts.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like the weights are sticking. Pull cover off you should be able to look at the sheaves and see if they are both touching the belt . You can stick your finger in where the weights at and should be able to move them easily. If not the are seized on the bolts.
ok so pulled the cover off and should have mentioned that the bike came with a quadshop customs primary. So I don’t think I have the same weights as nothing in here is moving. Also I’m park with the bike running both primary and secondary are turning is that right?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok so pulled the cover off and should have mentioned that the bike came with a quadshop customs primary. So I don’t think I have the same weights as nothing in here is moving. Also I’m park with the bike running both primary and secondary are turning is that right?

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
Any gear at idle primary Is only thing thT turns. So either weights are stuck or oneway bearing has locked up. But one way would just smoke the belt. It woukd be bad enough to keep the primary engaged. Unless they do something different that all the other manufacturers.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I took the belt off and turned the primary and it’s squeaking and making some weird noises. So I’m guessing the one way bearing is behind the primary. I pried the primary spring in and all weights are free. So I’m gonna continue with pulling the primary clutch off to see if I have a bad bearing (as long as you agree that is the next step) as the secondary is free spinning.

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
The round shaft in the middle under the belt is the one-way. It should move freely in one direction and lock up the other .

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The round shaft in the middle under the belt is the one-way. It should move freely in one direction and lock up the other .

Ok the piece In the middle of the primary that is not moving! That makes sense. I understand how it works now

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

So I have seemed to find a bigger issue. The Helix looks to have not been put together properly or something has happened. I looked in behind the secondary and the helix teeth were all chewed up. Trying to remove the secondary bolt and it’s just spinning. Problem is the helix teeth are not sitting in the catches. Not sure what I’m gonna do yet to remove it. But if my helix and secondary are fkd I’m sure that’s not gonna be cheap to replace. Agh this bike!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok a couple last questions.
1. Do you know what would have caused this to happen? So I know going back together.
2. Being that I have an upgrade primary is there a suggestion for an upgraded secondary that will work together better? I think I can get away using this secondary it didn’t mar it up to bad.

3. I took the primary bolt out to get to the one way and the clutch won’t budge from what I’ve seen the oem should just come right off. Before I go prying and bearing it with a dead blow just wanted to make sure I’m not missing anything!
Thanks for your time helping me out today. You’re a wealth of knowledge as I’ve seen in countless post I appreciate your input! View attachment 66630

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
They don't fall off. You need a puller bolt to remove the inner half. It wedges onto the Crank. To get yours apart you have to take the outer plate off the there's a left hand threaded nut that hold the outer half onto the shaft. And no most never change the secondary. Secondary is where your engine/ clutch braking is at. No after market has a engine brake as strong as can am.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They don't fall off. You need a puller bolt to remove the inner half. It wedges onto the Crank. To get yours apart you have to take the outer plate off the there's a left hand threaded nut that hold the outer half onto the shaft. And no most never change the secondary. Secondary is where your engine/ clutch braking is at. No after market has a engine brake as strong as can am.
ok. Got ya I knew the back half of the primary aaa had to be pulled out but the video I watched he took the bolt out and the front half of the primary came right off. I’ll go order a puller. I’ll do some research on why the helix is all fkd up.
Thanks for all the help!

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
The can am outer does but that clutch is a Polaris clutch fitted to a can am Crank. The shaft nut holds the outer on. Puller only removes the inner from the Crank.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Looking at that first photo, could there be an alignment issue with the primary?

·
Super Moderator
25,989 Posts
No adjustments that I know of. Inner nut holds outer to inner weights spring abd one-way only thing in between outer and inner .

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The can am outer does but that clutch is a Polaris clutch fitted to a can am Crank. The shaft nut holds the outer on. Puller only removes the inner from the Crank.
Interesting, the Quadshop aluminum outer primary is definitely stuck on after removing the bolt. I’ve been hammering with a dead blow and it isn’t budging.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts