Can-Am Commander Forum banner

121 - 139 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
Awesome good to hear its working great. You put in a lot of work. I was also thinking about wrapping my exhaust since I run a bump seat in-between my front seats and its crazy hot. Pretty much can melt a plastic bottle in the middle cup holder
I know exactly what you mean. This is pretty much the only way to combat that.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
AHHHH yeah defiantly a good call. Yeti will help that for sure. Does the exhaust wrap do enough that its worth me buying wrap and pulling it apart?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
I know right? I think I'll just leave it sit in the garage....Fire it up once in a while and show it off.... It should last a long time by doing that, right? I have a buddy that works at a can am dealership in New York. He was telling me that in his short time of working there, he's already seen four commanders come in with blown gearboxes. Failed seals seem to be the main culprit. But I am sure you all know that. LOL

Thanks everyone for all your help!!! I feel like I am a full blown mechanic now...lol.. My forte was building golf carts before this thing arrived. Even though this whole experience sucked ass and was very expensive, I really enjoyed tearing this machine apart and putting it back together. I now understand this thing from top to bottom.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
I know right? I think I'll just leave it sit in the garage....Fire it up once in a while and show it off.... It should last a long time by doing that, right? I have a buddy that works at a can am dealership in New York. He was telling me that in his short time of working there, he's already seen four commanders come in with blown gearboxes. Failed seals seem to be the main culprit. But I am sure you all know that. LOL

Thanks everyone for all your help!!! I feel like I am a full blown mechanic now...lol.. My forte was building golf carts before this thing arrived. Even though this whole experience sucked ass and was very expensive, I really enjoyed tearing this machine apart and putting it back together. I now understand this thing from top to bottom.
Hey! I been looking all over for a cheap 48v golf cart or maybe a gas one. I especially like the yamahas. My wife wants one for us to take when we go camping. Know of any deals?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Congrats to ya Mason on getting your Commander trail worthy again!!
Hopefully your next fix will be something new,... instead of that damn gearbox!

Like me,..lol. Fixed the gearbox,.. went for a rip. Next thing I know,.. replacing the swing arm, wheel bearing, and axle. Got that all fixed up,.. and now today I am waiting on another new part,.... a front CV Axle for my 4WD will work properly. Maybe someday I'll quit wrenching on this thing. But that won't be til I sell it. :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #132
Guessing that is a scam ad. . . See a lot of those.
Yeah, it probably is slow...Sorry. I generally watch facebook for a dead or non running golf carts and be ready with cash in hand to buy it immediately because they don't last more than a day. Buy it and fix it. They are very easy to work on, especially with your clutch experience. Stay away from battery carts unless you find one with new batteries, as they are very expensive. I always go gas. Other choice is to find a gas cart recently off the course. Minimum cost is $2,700 for stock cart. Then buy parts yourself to lift, tires, etc. Here's one I bought for $700. I put a Polaris Scrambler 550 engine in it. Did 65 mph.

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #133
Congrats to ya Mason on getting your Commander trail worthy again!!
Hopefully your next fix will be something new,... instead of that damn gearbox!

Like me,..lol. Fixed the gearbox,.. went for a rip. Next thing I know,.. replacing the swing arm, wheel bearing, and axle. Got that all fixed up,.. and now today I am waiting on another new part,.... a front CV Axle for my 4WD will work properly. Maybe someday I'll quit wrenching on this thing. But that won't be til I sell it. :D
Thanks Upfree! Yes, I agree. My son is buying a 2021 Polaris sportsman this week, as he just sold his side by side. Hopefully I just may have something to go ride with him on. Or, something for him to tow back to the trailer. LOL.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #135
Thanks again Rick! If worse comes to worse, and that distance screw bolt backs out, I can always clean up my original clutch side cover and replace your cover with it. Not something I want to do, but would definitely resolve the problem.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #137
Turns out, the bolt I stuck in the hole lasted about 1 1/2 minutes. That of course didn't work. Back to square one...Said hell with it and took my old cover to my gearbox, replaced the two bearings in it and used it. The screw on that one was fine. Oh, and trying to do this while the engine is in place is a nightmare. The cover gets hung up on the upper right corner and at the bottom skid plate (the side that comes up next to the bottom of the gearbox). I ended up having to beat that down in order to get the cover back on again. Then, trying to get the Index Lever back into place before you push the cover back on, while its in the machine is not easy. But, got her done. I also ordered a Can Am Maverick belt for it. $172.00 later on Amazon. Ouch... That belt seems to run well, however, it seems that it doesn't get the RPM's up on the high end as fast as the other belts I was using. It does run up the entire primary and secondary sheaths, but only at higher rpms.

Now with my old cover on it and a new seal, it does not leak anymore. Gearbox is somewhat smooth, but I am thinking (and hoping) that the belt will just need a bit of time to wear in. As it gets warm, it doesn't turn the secondary while in park or neutral. I do have a question for those running 29.5 tires - what is your top speed? I'm only getting 60mph. It hit 70 with stock tires when I first got it. Yes, 60 is just plenty. In fact pretty terrifying if you were a passenger. Just wondering.

I'll trail test it in the next couple of weeks and will report back of how she did. Just glad to have it back...Thanks again for yall's help on here.

·
Super Moderator
25,549 Posts
I know its more money but I would do a Dalton clutch kit. Then you can dial in your wide open throttle rpm to peak hp. And that will hold it at 7200rpm till the clutches go one to one with the rpm. That should pic up a little top end and will put more power to the ground at lower speeds. Also check mph with GPS. Taller tires read slower on the meter. But guessing only a couple mph difference between the 27 and 29 on the meter. But GPS will confirm exactly where its at.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
OK Ace. I gotcha. I've had some experience with golf carts running heavier springs in the secondary, which allows a golf cart to be able to climb a tree. Now, top end would suffer some, but the torque gain was worth the loss. So, I totally understand how that could help out. I agree with you on the GPS too. I didn't think about that. I'll try that. Bet it was doing 64-65 and just reading lower.

121 - 139 of 139 Posts