Can-Am Commander Forum banner

101 - 120 of 139 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
It shifts pretty smooth now. Way smoother that it did with the original gearbox. But, its still leaking from the gearbox. I bought a new seal, followed your instructions, including packing the area with super lube. Bought and installed a new oring and put the distance ring (the original one from this machine) on correctly. Its still leaking. Now, i did refill the gearbox and put the top fill screw back in when it was just about done leaking back out. I'm wondering is it possible that I just have too much in the gearbox and that is the only place for it to go???

·
Super Moderator
25,549 Posts
You might what you get you a spare set of skf sealed one way bearings. If lucky you won't need them for a while. If your luck is like mine you will be replacing those all balls bearing in a 1000 miles or less.

·
Registered
892 Posts
It should not be leaking. Any chance the new seal was damaged going in? Did there appear to be any nicks or scratches on the sealing surfaces? Any play in any direction on the countershaft?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Well i figured it out. Evidently it isn't the main seal that's leaking, instead it's leaking from the missing distance screw, or part 420441430. You can see the case is loaded with oil from that spot. I guess some poked through into the case, so there's a hole here. Ice found a screw that will tighten into the hole, but not sure what to use to seal it. Maybe a bit of silicone?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
25,549 Posts
Permatex actually makes a #2 head bolt sealant in a squeeze tube. Its a little thicker and hardens over time. Not like loctite. Either should work.

·
Registered
892 Posts
I would not use the hole, unless doing so would allow the backplate to move out and rub the inside sheave. I'd drain the oil to below the hole, clean it to the hilt with solvent, let it dry completely, and fill it flush with a good epoxy.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
Well, the reason I don't want to do that is because the hole is open to inside the case, right at that bearing. If I put epoxy in the hole, that could get into the case or even worse in the bearing. The bolt I found will tighten up the case brass right to the hole. If i use something that can come back out, it can be removed if I need to take the cover back off.

·
Registered
43 Posts
That primary clutch is in rough shape!! looks like a brillo pad lol. I think I'm going to try out a cvtech primary. Sounds like it will be half decent

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
If that stuff is blackish and thick thats the stuff.
Yes, its the stuff in the plastic, black. Seems to be holding. Took a good ride. Clutch and gearbox are SO SMOOTH!! Oh, its wonderful again. Plastics almost back on. That wrap totally helped the heat. Although tonight, I would have welcomed the heat!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Awesome good to hear its working great. You put in a lot of work. I was also thinking about wrapping my exhaust since I run a bump seat in-between my front seats and its crazy hot. Pretty much can melt a plastic bottle in the middle cup holder

101 - 120 of 139 Posts