Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. So, on my second day of really running this wonderful machine at Carolina Adventure World, it decided to lock up on me. Heading down a hill she made all kinds of noise and BANG. Locked up dead in its tracks. Shifter didn't really want to move, although as I did try to shift it like to park, etc. the dashboard said it was moving, but certainly did not feel like it. Winched the machine to the bottom of the muddy pit and went to work. Jacked up rear, took apart read end and got axles loose from the transaxle. Tied them up and got a pull back to the trailer, now that she could roll again.
I'm NOT a mechanic by any means, but I can tear shit apart with the best of them. I already spent $7500 for the machine, which was 10 years of saving towards to afford. My wife will not let me spend $2100 or more to buy a new gearbox. She AINT happy about this at all, but that's another story. I am going to tear into it this weekend and try to figure out exactly what is broken. Can anyone give me pointers as to what to test and look for to determine exactly what component is jacked?

·
Registered
617 Posts
Sounds like you’re heading in the right direction. Will it shift at all with the engine off and parked? Can’t think of anything that would make it act like that other than that the gearbox. Good luck.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Same problem mine had.
I traded my Polaris Ace 900 SP for a 12' Commander 1000 XT. It locked up during my maiden voyage and I had to winch/drag it onto a trailer while trailside.

I also did not want to spend the extra money on it,... so I removed the gearbox, cracked it open and found the problem. My pinion tapered bearing blew out. So I bought one and replaced it. Tossed it back in the Commander and took it for a rip. I screwed up and didn't properly tighten a bolt down inside the gearbox,.. and it backed out and blew my cover off and destroyed the pinion gear. Whoops.

But,.. if I would have tightened it properly with lock-tite,... then I believe it would still be fine today. Instead I had to RIP my wallet and buy a new gearbox.

However,.. moral of the story is,... take it out and rip it apart. Find out the problem and see if you can repair it. It's already broken,... so you won't make it any worse. Maybe your problem is different than my problem. If so,.. I have spare gearbox parts.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Awesome upfreebird! I've got your posts and slowindown's posts to refer to as I am tearing it apart. I do believe the gearbox was making a horrid sound before she locked up, so gotta be the gearbox. One question - I see some guys are stating that it is easier to just remove the engine/gearbox as one instead of moving the engine forward and undoing the gearbox. Any insight?

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have no experience on removing the engine with the gearbox.
Someone else will have to answer that question for ya.
I took my gearbox out twice,.. and left the motor in both times.

Get to wrenchin'!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I didn't pull the engine because I didn't want to have the drain the antifreeze, pull the hoses plus more wires and then have to reverse all of that and bleed the system.

Before you remove a whole lot of stuff, pull the rear driveshaft to make sure the issue is not the rear diff. Then pull the clutch covers to make sure you didn't have an issue in there.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I didn't pull the engine because I didn't want to have the drain the antifreeze, pull the hoses plus more wires and then have to reverse all of that and bleed the system.

Before you remove a whole lot of stuff, pull the rear driveshaft to make sure the issue is not the rear diff. Then pull the clutch covers to make sure you didn't have an issue in there.
OK, clutch cover off. Belt is in tact, but melted on one side (minor melt). Secondary rolls about 8th / 1/4 turn back and forth but shifter is very difficult to move. I'm leaning towards shifter fork broke, metal landed between gears, thus stopping instant. Just a total guess

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
yeah. but not on the 1000cc atvs. They use the big box, right? At least, that's what the can-am partsguy link I posted said: "NEW OEM Canam Part NOT A REBUILD, ALL NEW Brand New In The Box Fits- Maverick 1000R, Commander 1000 or 800, Outlander 1000 2012-2014, all Outlander XMR 1000, Renegade 1000."

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well, a little stuck. Need a primary clutch puller. Got the secondary off, but not the primary. Is there a bolt I can go buy at the hardware store that would suffice?

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
no. the primary puller is machined. mine came from uatv-tech.com. it's machined. I'll add a pic to show you what it looks like. Ace may know a trick that doesn't require the bolt.

did you unhook the rear drive shaft to make sure it was the gearbox?

If you’re near sw miss you can borrow mine or post your location. Maybe you’re near someone who has one they’ll let you use

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK. No, have not done that yet. I'll do that next. However, I pulled the gearbox drain plug and it was completely full of large sized metal shavings and no oil came out.... Pretty sure the gearbox is trashed.

·
Super Moderator
25,416 Posts

You will need a 14mm x 1.5thread pitch 5” long and a piece of round stock 8mm or 5/16” 2.25” long.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
That doesn't sound good. I edited my post with a pic and more. I know people have taken them off with hydraulic pressure. filling the hole with grease or other liquid and running the bolt in - just don't know if they did that in conjunction with the puller or just a bolt - I think the puller.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts