Can-Am Commander Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2 questions for all you Commander experts. First off, I am wondering about soft tops. I have been researching online, and I am pretty sure I am going to get the Kolpin folding windshield. I am wondering which soft top will go with this. I would prefer one with a hard plastic brim. I am thinking that I want to keep the rain from coming in between the windshield and the soft top. Any suggestions?

second question is about registration. I live in NY state. The great state of NY does not allow registration of ATV's that weigh over 1000 pounds. You can't register them for on road use, and you can't register them for off road use because they are too heavy. I know lots of ATV parks require that ATV's be registered and insured. The insurance part is easy, but not sure what to do about the registration part. I live near PA, but not sure how I could register it in PA. Any suggestions from anyone in NY that has accomplished this?

Any helps appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I've researched it until I was blue in the face. There is no way to legally register it in NY. You can register it in PA even if you don't live there but to ride it in NY it must be registered in NY, (according to the law). Any offroad parks or atv events that I have been to have allowed me to ride knowing the ignorance of NY laws as long as I had insurance. Also, I've put over 3000 miles on my commander, 1000 on my rzr-s, and 4500 on my old rhino. I've only gotten one ticket and it was thrown out by the judge as soon as we walked in the door. 99% of the time law enforcement smiles and waves when they see me. They are just as frustrated as we are with NY not addressing the side by sides.

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
There are dozens of soft tops available for the Commander but I've never seen one with a hard plastic brim. You'll have to go all plastic or all fabric, or if your creative and a little handy, you could buy both and cut the center out of the hard top and maybe fasten the fabric top to the perimeter of the hard roof using snaps or some other fasteners. I imagine the top will feel like a giant sunroof when you remove the fabric part. Good luck!

·
Registered
208 Posts
They make one now thats hard plastic in the front with the rest being fabric and its designed to roll the fabric up next to the visor. Its in the 2014 catalog that just came out. I think they called it a bikini top.

Just got the catalog and its called a bimini roof with sun visor. Part # 715001198, list for $250.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I have the same Kolpin windshield and tried a soft top and it plain old sucked, you can't trailer with them on and they flop badly in the wind no matter how tight you get it. I bought a utv inc aluminum roof and have been extremely impressed with it, fits with the kolpin nicely and is very well built. I wouldn't bother wasting my money on a soft top, just go get the hard roof.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts