Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Bought this 2018 1000r brand new and has about 550 miles on it. Other than belts blowing I haven't had any mechanical issues until lately.

The machine will start up just fine and sounds okay but will randomly drop in RPMs and die both when idling and running. Not throwing any codes.

Has fresh gas, new oil, new belt, new fuel pump, and new fuel regulator. Here is a short video of what it is doing.

Any ideas or help is greatly appreciated 馃檹

Thanks,
Dave

Registered
Are those the symptoms that caused you to change the fuel pump? What pump did you use and was the pressure regulator and the sock/filter changed too?

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Are those the symptoms that caused you to change the fuel pump? What pump did you use and was the pressure regulator and the sock/filter changed too?
Yes, I used a comparable pump from auto zone and also replaced the regulator and filter. Same symptoms.

Registered
The autozone pump is good. There are some aftermarket regulators out there that look the same but are set way low. Just to be sure, I鈥檇 put a pressure gauge on it to be sure. You probably know but you鈥檙e looking for 50 psi. You鈥檙e problem may lie elsewhere and there鈥檚 some people with much more knowledge than me but that鈥檚 very similar to how mine acted when I had low fp.

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
The autozone pump is good. There are some aftermarket regulators out there that look the same but are set way low. Just to be sure, I鈥檇 put a pressure gauge on it to be sure. You probably know but you鈥檙e looking for 50 psi. You鈥檙e problem may lie elsewhere and there鈥檚 some people with much more knowledge than me but that鈥檚 very similar to how mine acted when I had low fp.

This is the one I bought.

"HFP-PR4 Fuel Pressure Regulator (50PSI) Replacement for Can-Am Commander 1000/1000 Max/800/800 Max (2011-2018) Replaces 709000759, 709000362, 709000270"

Super Moderator
You need to check and confirm the fuel pressure . The pump is electrical. New electrical parts are bad out of the box all the time . Fuel pressure should never drop below 50 psi.

Registered
This is the one I bought.

"HFP-PR4 Fuel Pressure Regulator (50PSI) Replacement for Can-Am Commander 1000/1000 Max/800/800 Max (2011-2018) Replaces 709000759, 709000362, 709000270"

I鈥檓 thinking that is one of the ones that someone posted was too low but not 100% sure. I remember a thread where that was the case and the guy put the old one back in and it fixed his issue - just not sure which brand.

Like ace said check the fp. You can borrow a fp gauge at places like autozone or oriellys, which is how I trouble shot mine.

Super Moderator
Last one brand new tested at 42# and turning regulator up didn鈥檛 change the pressure.

Super Moderator
the Delphi is the one most are replacing with. It鈥檚 not the cheap one but no one has had any issues that I know of with it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #13
the Delphi is the one most are replacing with. It鈥檚 not the cheap one but no one has had any issues that I know of with it.
I got a fuel pressure gauge on it and it hovers around 45 PSI. I'm assuming its the pump since the issue continued after the new regulator. Any thoughts before I buy another fuel pump?

Super Moderator
You can try turning up the regulator. But that probably won鈥檛 help but it鈥檚 worth a try.

Super Moderator
45 psi can keep up with the increased need for fuel. That鈥檚 why when you stab the throttle it immediately starts running out of fuel and stumbles so hard do to to much air and not enough fuel so it dies .

Registered
Discussion Starter #16
45 psi can keep up with the increased need for fuel. That鈥檚 why when you stab the throttle it immediately starts running out of fuel and stumbles so hard do to to much air and not enough fuel so it dies .
Sorry if this seems like a stupid question but I'm total amateur at this stuff. How do you turn up the regulator?

Super Moderator
Should be a set screw to turn it up and down. You have link to the one you bought or did it come with the pump.

Super Moderator
We had the one guy that bought the quantum pump and some how adjusted the regulator but it still didn鈥檛 get it above 50. So he replaced it with the Delphi .

Registered
Discussion Starter #20
Should be a set screw to turn it up and down. You have link to the one you bought or did it come with the pump.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts