Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So guys I just joined today. I bought my machine in September. Back ground on machine. I bought it used with 380 hrs 4000 MI. It's fully dressed cab, heater, winch, light bar, and sound system. Right after I bought it it started over charging. Checked stator and everything checked out. Well it boiled the battery and I changed the battery and the voltage regulator . Put an Rm stator voltage regulator on it. Checked everything and it was good. Couple months go by it quits charging. Check it again. Voltage regulator. Warrantied it checked it and it's good. Now a couple of weeks ago my grandparents ran a shed door off the track. I went down late in the sxs and left it running with the lights on, radio, and light bar. Got everything taken care of and we sat and shot the stuff for a minute I get back in it and it says high battery volts limp home mode. Check engine light is flashing and throws a p0563 and u0167. Checked everything again and I just want verification on this. Stator in my eyes checks good. 9.3- 9.8 volts off of all three legs each. Ohmed each leg to each other and none of them went over .2 ohms. Now With this being said what in the world keeps taking these regulators out? Do I need to put in a dual battery kit with an isolator or something?

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
The info you seek is above my pay grade but I wanted to welcome you to the forum. Good luck. Boog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
483 Posts
The 2 different service manuals I have give different values for stator output voltage check. Your resistance measurement sounds right. You should apparently see 14 to 15 volts A/C minimum, leg to leg at 4000 rpm on the stator output wires. Is that an aftermarket voltage regulator you have?

·
Registered
483 Posts
I googled rm stator, and that is an aftermarket regulator. Now I'm not saying that is your issue, but I remember a forum member a long time ago having issues while using an aftermarket regulator. I don't know what brand. He went back to oem, and was good.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm gonna go back to oem. I was gonna ask you guys to. If an oem 18 regulator would work on a 14. Had a buddy that has an extra for a machine he used to have.

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Can-Am part numbers change more often than I do my thong. May be worth a shot if you can borrow your buddy’s regulator and try it.

·
Super Moderator
23,396 Posts
If the stator is the same as a 14 and plugs are the same . Then the part number changed do to the mounting holes .

·
Registered
12,639 Posts
Eagle eye went through the same trouble a few years back with a aftermarket regulator . They over load and cook . So far the only regulator that lasts is the canned ham one

·
Registered
7,776 Posts
Poor canned ham. That feller has lots of issues and then he has problems with his machine too!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts