Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2012 Can Am Commander 1000X
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 1000X. Just 3000km on the sbs. I have owned the sbs since 2014. It had just 75kms on it when purchased. about 4 yrs ago, it would very randomly grind a little when shifting into H. Over time and after numerous one way bearing service and linkage adjustments, the problem got worse. It now does this half the time. If I shift to H and so slightly press the gas, it will not grind, and go into gear. If I shift to H and press on the gas, it will grind. This happens without the shift linkage attached. Linkage adjustment is ruled out. The one way bearings and have been changed...smooth as a baby's ass! It is most certainly a gearbox issue. Has anyone else experienced this H gear only issue. Shifting to R, L and P are not an issue.

·
Super Moderator
24,549 Posts
Got a bad bearing or possibly bent shift fork not allowing it to fully engage . Could be a number of issues but it’s definitely only on the high side being it’s fine in all other gears .

·
Registered
252 Posts
My 2012 was the exact same. Slightly step on the gas until it engages then you are good to go. Drove it like that for 2 years and not once did it pop out of gear, just the annoying grind if I was not carefull when shifting into high. I made the decision to sell mine rather than sink more money into it. It was a fun machine for the 5 year I had it but am going back to a quad.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I will be pulling this gearbox out and splitting it open. Acefire...What do you mean by high side? I am not afraid to tackle this gearbox, but i have no experience with this one. Are parts available?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Acefire. Are these usually repairable? Are bearings and shift forks available? Is there a good manual or video? You help is very much appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
24,549 Posts
Everything but the ring and pinion can be bought . Abuse is typically what kills them .

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I decided to have one last look before starting the process of getting the gb out. Bike is up on a lift. With belt on, shifter in H, a little throttle, i get the grinding every time now. If i take the belt off, Gb in H and spin secondary with my hands, It grabs every time. No rattle or grind. Question is...will i see whats wrong when i split the gearbox open? Shouldn’t it also grind without engine running and spinning secondary by hand?

·
Registered
12,765 Posts
You should still see the leading edge of the locking dogs being rounded off a bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Troy...will be removing it in a few weeks, still getting snow and need the plow. I will post what i find.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
When I was first looking into replacing this gearbox, I found a step by step removal procedure. I can't seem to find it today. Anyone know where it is in the forums? I should have bookmarked it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks to you all...i finally got at this over the weekend. What a job...hours of work. Followed slowindown’s procedure word for word. All went ok with the exception of the fromt driveshaft. I could not get that bolt to loosen...the one keeping the shaft on the front diff. Even busted a half inch wrench. Had to move the rad hose out of the way and haul the diff forward. Out the driveshaft came. What a pain in the a$$. Next for me...watch some how toos on splitting this gearbox Am i in over my head??? Yes!!! Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I don’t want to assume anything here. What is the easiest way to find out why this thing grinds when shifted to high gear? No issues with other gears. What should i look for? Ive read maybe bent shift fork, but doesnt that shift low and high? Is there more than one fork?

·
Super Moderator
24,549 Posts
YouTube several good videos on there with lots of detail. Shift fork could be bad a shaft bearing could be bad or even the slide gear. Lots of variables.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts