Can-Am Commander Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2015 Commander 1000 XT
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a new Commander 1000 XT in late April of this year. So far I've put 2500 km (1500 miles) on it and decided to review the machine.

This is my first side by side and my first Can Am. My last machine before this was a 2015 Polaris Sportsman 850 SP which was a bit of a lemon unfortunately. I had issues with the machine and the dealer so when I decided to buy a SxS I chose a brand other than Polaris. The only issue so far was the gas tank was leaking after about 1500 km. It had a bad weld where the filler tube is welded to the tank. I called a local dealer, Adventure Motors in New Glasgow, NS, and told them what the problem was. The service guy ordered a replacement tank while I talked to him over the phone, he didn't even want to see it himself. I was very impressed by that. I took it in and they fixed it in a few hours and I was ready to go. Good job Adventure Motors service team. If that dealer was willing to do better on pricing I would have bought my machine there as well.

Overall I'm very happy with it so far and would recommend them to others. Actually a friend of mine just bought the XTP version and he loves it so far too. I put a list of things I like and dislike about the machine below. The dislikes are relatively minor and wouldn't stop me from buying another one.

I also put a link to a video and pictures from our Newfoundland trip at the bottom so you can see it in action.

Things I like -
Appearance
I love the appearance of it, especially when it's shined up. I get lots of compliments on it. It's yellow plastic and not painted like my last machine. I thought I would miss the paint especially when clean and shiny but I don't really. The 14" aluminum wheels look like they should be on a car they are so nice.

Power
It's a fairly powerful machine. The friends I ride with have Kawasaki 800 Teryx's and this machine out performs them hands down. Having said that, I wish it had the 100 hp motor instead of the 85 hp motor. what can I say, I like power.

Comfort
It's all day comfortable to ride in. I took it across Newfoundland this September and drove 1250 km's in a week (800 miles). Some days we did over 200 km (125 miles) and there was no problem with comfort.

Gas mileage
I barely use any more gas than my friends on their ATV's. I was pretty amazed and so were they.

Stock lights
The headlights are impressive even in stock form. I did buy a 32" light bar for it, however, because I love extra light on the trails.

Storage space
The glove box, the cup holders in the center console between the seats and a storage the spot above the switches all come in handy. The rear dump box is huge especially with the divider taken out. It's the ultimate machine for a long distance camping trip.

Things I don't like
Noise
Because of where the engine is located there is bound to be interior cabin noise. Depending on the day it seems to range from not too bad to obnoxiously loud. I know the Commander is not the only machine that suffers from this. Even my old ATV's could be like that some days. I just wish it was a little quieter.

The size of it
This really falls under both "things I like and don't like" categories. Most of the time I appreciate the width of the machine because the interior is roomy feeling. I have been in other machines like the Wildcat Trail and although I although I liked riding in it I found it to be a bit cramped. The downside to the Commander's width is tight trails. I live in area with lots of tight trails and I've never been able to not get through one yet. But it has been a bit frustrating on a few occasions to say the least.

Ground Clearance
I am definitely getting a lift kit put on sometime this Fall or Winter. I've bottomed way more times than I'm comfortable with. Even just a 2" kit will suffice.

Access to service points
I don't like that you have to take the passenger seat out just to check the oil. Also, it'w way too difficult to get at the belt for a trail side change out. I haven't had any issues with the belt luckily. I like how much easier it is to get at the belt in the Wildcat Trail and RZR's.

Twitchy handling sometimes
I find that on straight stretches of road at speeds over 40 mph the rear end can be twitchy when you floor the accelerator in 2wd. The back end always wants to slide left a bit - I don't like that. Putting it in 4wd usually gets rid of that. Also the rear end pogos a bit over large whoops. I think that's probably common among SxS's.

Like I mentioned earlier I like the machine very much overall and would buy another one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nph1Mm2Vs64

PHOTOS

·
Registered
22 Posts
Nice review pcmr. I pulled the pin on a 2013 XT 1000, 1200 miles earlier this fall. I had limited knowledge about the machines, other than I know a couple guys that have them and have put them to the test. This forum has been exceptional in helping me understand the characteristics of the machine. So far I really like it. Most likely I'll keep it for a year and sell it to my Dad. Next up will be a Maverick. Anchrman.

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Twitchy handling sometimes
I find that on straight stretches of road at speeds over 40 mph the rear end can be twitchy when you floor the accelerator in 2wd. The back end always wants to slide left a bit - I don't like that. Putting it in 4wd usually gets rid of that. Also the rear end pogos a bit over large whoops. I think that's probably common among SxS's.

This is usually due to the fact the tires round out at speed and less contact patch means unpredictability, check your air , but knowing is safer then wondering.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Good Review...My rear end is twitchy on hard accel or decel...its like it's torque steering almost...excpet rear wheel drive...when u left off it 'dives' back to the left...

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
What do you recommend the air pressure being set to?

2016 Commander 1000 XT. Parker, Pennsylvania.

I had the same issue with my 800 XT, so I cranked my shocks to +1 at all four corners from the bottom most settings, and then set the tires to 12 PSI.

This should fix the squirrelly rear end issue.

-Kris

·
Registered
226 Posts

I had the same issue with my 800 XT, so I cranked my shocks to +1 at all four corners from the bottom most settings, and then set the tires to 12 PSI.

-Kris
Thanks MarineOne

·
Registered
2015 Commander 1000 XT
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good tip. I already have my shocks at +1. I'll try the 12psi.

-Kris

·
Registered
1 Posts
I simply needed to check whether anybody out there got in excess of 22 hrs out of the processing plant back brake cushions. My 2012 Outy 100 XT went metal to metal in 22 hrs. Not hard riding all things considered. I conversed with the seller and they said the vast majority are getting 40 or less hrs on them. At that point they requested me some unacceptable ones since they didn't have them in stock for the 1000.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts