New Owner - Windshield/Roof Questions - Can-Am Commander Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 10-09-2019, 10:28 AM Thread Starter

Garage
New Owner - Windshield/Roof Questions

I just purchased a 2016 Commander 1000 XT with the only accessory being the sport roof from Can-Am. Loving the machine so far and trying to plan out what accessories I want to add. I've already purchased a winch remote and have looked into side and rear view mirrors but I'm a bit hung up on researching windshields.

I really like the functionality of the Super ATV flip up windshield but it is not compatible with the Can-Am sport roof for the Commander. I emailed their support just to verify and it sounds like the windshield in the open position hits the roof overhang. Bit of a bummer as I don't plan on replacing the roof that is on the machine but I'd like that totally open option the Super ATV windshield offers.

I'm wondering, does anyone here have the Can-Am sport roof and a Super ATV flip up windshield despite them not being truly "compatible"? Your thoughts on the setup?

And as far as some sort of flip open windshield, what is the next best alternative people use, the Kolpin one?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 10-09-2019, 12:34 PM

We've been running the half windshield, the UTV Inc. roof, and the rear mesh. Keeps the air pretty clear in the cab as it creates a bit of a air bubble.

Also gotta recommend the pool noodle trick for the latch bar mechanism for the dump bed. It keeps the dust from coming up between the rear of the cab and the dump bed.

-Kris

President - IdahoUTV January 2017 - June 2017

NEW TO ME!
2016 Maverick xDS Turbo

2014 Commander 800XT
RacerTech Lift/Shock Relocation

Towed by ....

2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QCLB SRW
Titan Fuel Tank - 50 gallon
Nathan AirChime K3LA
post #3 of 12 Old 10-09-2019, 12:50 PM

I think more people use the Kolpin than the SATV. (I could be wrong). Kolpin's picture shows it under what looks to be the can-am roof. I don't have a windshield, but it will be my next accessory, it will be a Kolpin, and I have the Can-Am roof. I also have the Can-am rear view mirror, and like it.

If you love something, set it free. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 10-09-2019, 02:01 PM

As to what we all call the Kolpin tilt windshield, Kolpin is just one of the companies that market the same windshield. It is the one can am sells as their tilt windshield. The one I have is the same but it had a different name, like new directions or something like that. I can dig the name out if anyone needs it. I found it on ebay and it was substantially cheaper than the SATV windshield or the one marketed as Kolpin. I've seen it with a different name too. I'm not sure about the sport roof, I have the two piece can am roof and it works fine with it.
cannedham likes this.

2011 1000XT
post #5 of 12 Old 10-09-2019, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowindown View Post
As to what we all call the Kolpin tilt windshield, Kolpin is just one of the companies that market the same windshield. It is the one can am sells as their tilt windshield. The one I have is the same but it had a different name, like new directions or something like that. I can dig the name out if anyone needs it. I found it on ebay and it was substantially cheaper than the SATV windshield or the one marketed as Kolpin. I've seen it with a different name too. I'm not sure about the sport roof, I have the two piece can am roof and it works fine with it.
Is yours like the SATV or the Kolpin? I think "new directions" is a boy band......that's just awful.
JTROCKS and Boogerhead like this.

If you love something, set it free. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it.
post #6 of 12 Old 10-09-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cannedham View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowindown View Post
Is yours like the SATV or the Kolpin? I think "new directions" is a boy band......that's just awful.

Itís just like a Kolpin. Same windshield. Branded differently.

So, you like boy bands do you...? LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CF86998F-1BCC-4455-895D-88CC544E53DF.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	692.8 KB
ID:	61165  

2011 1000XT
post #7 of 12 Old 10-09-2019, 09:12 PM

Garage
My brother is running a koplin with 2 piece can am roof. No issues.

If it doesnít fit donít force it, get a bigger HAMMER
post #8 of 12 Old 10-10-2019, 05:11 AM

Only real diff between Kolpin and SUATV is how far they flip up, Kolpin has a two stage much lower flipped up position while the SUATV has shocks and can go from partial open positions to all the way up and I think that is when it's going to interfere the roof. I would call and ask if I had to do it over my choice would be the SUATV style as the locking lever for settings is in the middle and the shocks hold the outsides still, when cruising you get major wobble in the center section of the Kolpin.

14 XTP 1000 custom made race top lol, 30 in Sirius LED lightbar, 20 in led backup, DZ Fan overide,SSV works audio. Full Kolpin tilting windshield.BRP Lateral skids,Holtz Racing steering rack brace, Blingstar doors,Pro Armour door bags,Tusk cab bag,Troy's cool console cover,Can Am soft rear window,Denali 72" pro plow, Troy and Ed's clutch lockup mod!! Racer Tech lift and dual rate springs,oh yea!29.5x9" Warthogs on all 4's for now
And whatever else yanks at my wallet..OUCH !!!
post #9 of 12 Old 10-10-2019, 07:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Good info. I've heard about the wobble from the Kolpins being supported at the edge so with that and also with wanting it to open completely I was leaning towards a SATV windshield but seems it just won't work. I was hoping someone would jump in and say that they're just being super conservative and you can make it work. I'm guessing it would still work just only in the closed and slightly open position.
post #10 of 12 Old 10-10-2019, 12:16 PM

Ryfab is the best windshield that i ever put on my buggy . https://www.ryfab.com/product-page/canam-commander-kit

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > New Member Area > New Member Introductions & Site Assistance

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode