Thank you and questions - Can-Am Commander Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-05-2019, 07:52 PM Thread Starter

Thank you and questions

Thank you for adding me to your group. I have a 2015 commander 800 that I purchased new. 3 questions: 1. Every so often I smell gas in the cockpit. Dealer says they can't find anything... Problem? 2. The trails we ride are mostly washboard. Real filling knockers. The suspension is rock hard. What can I change to soften the ride? Don't want a Cadillac ride, but something less bone crushing. 3. Often times when I start I get a message to go to low gear. Happens in flat ground or on a slope. Again dealer says this is normal, but didn't happen when I first bought, but after a tune upgrade (????). Is there a fix for this. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-05-2019, 08:45 PM

Garage
Welcome to the forum from western NY.
Gas smell- vent for tank is located up behind air cleaner box. You can try to relocate.
Suspension- maybe decrease tire pressure, other than that different springs/shocks.
About the message Iím pretty positive in saying itís NOT normal. Iím sure someone else will be able help you on that one.

If it doesnít fit donít force it, get a bigger HAMMER
post #3 of 11 Old 05-06-2019, 01:12 PM

How old is the belt. May be time to replace. Not sure if the 15 has a belt slip indicator. Are you easing into the throttle when you take off or giving it some gas to get the clutch engaged with the belt.

As for your suspension, I assume you are on the softest adjustment. You can take some preload out as well. You will loose a little clearance but your ride should be better.

Last edited by starky1; 05-06-2019 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Add info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-06-2019, 05:26 PM

Welcome to the forum.

I may have to grow old, but you can't make me grow up!
post #5 of 11 Old 05-07-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

The belt is replaced every year and clutch cleaned. It is a software issue. The stock shocks are at their softest settings. Almost feels like their aren't any damping devices the ride is so harsh, and with sand and washboards the machine is very skittish.
post #6 of 11 Old 05-11-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter

So does anyone have a suggestion about softer shocks?
post #7 of 11 Old 05-11-2019, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator

Softer shocks ??
post #8 of 11 Old 05-14-2019, 04:30 PM Thread Starter

softer shocks

Yes, I know the shocks and springs are a package. I am looking for a significantly softer ride, especially since most of our trails are severe washboard. Anything over 20 mph and the machine gets really squirrelly. To the point that I have actually knocked a couple of inner fender walls lose (the grommets were knocked off the fenders and they flapped and sounded like a playing card in bicycle spokes) . Sorry, I mis-wrote what I am looking for just shocks. I cannot get the stock setup any softer, but there has to be something out there that will dampen the ride
post #9 of 11 Old 05-14-2019, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Well if you make it softer it will get worse . Your main issue is springs are to soft. The faster you go the worse it gets. Heavier springs will soak up the rough stuff the faster you go . I had a feeling your reply was going to be exactly what you replaced . Go to the suspension section plenty of threads on your issue with lots of fixes .
post #10 of 11 Old 05-15-2019, 01:21 PM Thread Starter

thank you

thank you for the suggestion. When we purchased the Commander the spring/shock was at it's stiffest. It was unsafe over the washboards (nothing like having the front wheels leave the ground while trying to avoid a dropoff - that was not fun). I know the real answer is to widen the track/stance, but that isn't a viable solution when my machine just fits on most local trails.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > New Member Area > New Member Introductions & Site Assistance

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode