Can-Am Commander Forum banner

Will 14x7 4/137 5+2 Offset Wheels Fit the Defenders?

18K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  bigchevrolet 
#1 ·
Will 14x7 4/137 5+2 Offset Wheels Fit the Defenders?

I was looking at a wheel that the specs are listed as 14x7 4/137 bolt pattern and 5+2 offset. I was wondering if the wheels would fit the Defenders with no clearance issues front and back? The website I was looking at stated they won't fit my machine, but then again it doesn't appear to list that many it would fit. So I'm guessing that isn't accurate. I've tried cross referencing different wheels on different websites with these same specs, and I'm thinking they should work. I'm thinking the one question mark would be the 5+2 offset. Any CanAm experts out there have any input?

#3 · (Edited)
The fronts are 27-9x14 and the rears are 27-11x14. I need to find out the width of the stock wheels, and I don't know what the stock offset is.

Even if the wheels in question would fit, how would they fit stance wise in comparison to stock? I just stumbled on this deal on the 5+2 wheels, and it got me considering....

I may have to rip off the wheels and get some measurements, but I just thought maybe somebody already knew this information. If it would fit and give the right stance, I just thought of taking advantage of the price...

#4 ·
I've been doing a lot of researching and digging on different websites than the one with the listed wheel. It lists a lot of wheels with the 5+2 offset for my machine. So I don't see why the listed wheel with those specs wouldn't work on my machine. Thinking on buying the wheels for the price despite their website saying they won't fit....

#6 · (Edited)
According to the service manual it lists the front wheels at 14 x 6.5" or 7" (not certain which it is since it lists one for Max and one for standard cab but I thought they came with same wheels, and not sure of the offset). It lists the rears at 14 x 8.5" (not sure of the offset).

I went straight to different wheel manufacturer websites like ITP, Sedona, and STI, and a majority of the wheels listed for the 4/137 bolt pattern were the 5+2 offset. So it seems to be the norm. So the one website has to be wrong saying they wouldn't fit my machine.....

#8 ·
Does anybody have aftermarket wheels on their Defenders (any pictures)? If so, are they 7" wide? I'm a little concerned about going with a 7" wide wheel and 5+2 offset (when stock rear wheel is 8.5"). My machine is already a little narrower than stock since I installed the 2" lift. So concerned how much narrower it would make it going with the 7" 5+2 wheel....

#13 ·
Most people use wheel spacers to widen their track width thinking it will be more stable. I think his point is to use better suspension (instead of bandaids) to make the machine stable. I for one have done a bunch of upgrades and still keep my 2” spacers for a couple of reasons.
1. It keeps my track width wider for the majority of the trails I do. (Think forest roads with Jeeps) during hunting season.
2. For stability the wider you are in most circumstances other than racing the more stable you would be. (Think outriggers on a crane.)
3. The best reason on this forum to run wheel spacers for no other reason is to piss Acehole off!
Hope this helps. Love, Boogerhead.[emoji3590]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
With a small 2" lift, my machine is roughly 3" narrower front and back. I found a deal on a set of different wheels that has a zero offset (3.5+3.5). My estimation is this would put me back pretty close to stock width. My machine is used for trail riding and hunting, and doesn't get beaten or raced (it is a Defender and not an X3). I don't suppose there should be much of anything wrong going with this setup? (Not that there was really anything wrong with going with the other setup other than some arguing for or against wheel spacers).

#16 ·
I didn't end up going with the 5+2 wheels. I ended up going with a different wheel that I received a deal on. They are 7" wide and 0 offset or (3.5+3.5). Not my usual style of wheel, but I decided to go with something that wasn't my norm. Pictures below.

Attachments

#18 · (Edited)
I bought the wheels from Trax Motorsports. They have some really good deals, and even a better deal on a set of beadlocks which I would have gone with (if they had the deal when I placed my order). Ebay has some good deals too. They have even better deals than when I purchased (which sucks):smile. I believe they are closing the wheel out. Good to shop around for the best price. The wheels are all the same size 14x7 with 0 offset or 3.5+3.5. Yes, the stock 27" Bighorn 2.0's are what is installed.

#21 ·
No problem. I did some playing around and measuring to yesterday afternoon. My rear rims, when installed in the front, hit the back side of the a arms and tire rubs the shock. I measured the hub mounting flange face to face at full sag and sitting with the weight of the machine, the font is roughly 2-3/8 inch wider then the rear. I am going to try to find matching design in 15x7 with 5/2 for the front and 4/3 for the rear.....this is proving to be troublesome however. I would rather not run whee spacers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.