Can-Am Commander Forum banner

2018 800 throttle/speed issue

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  slowindown 
#1 ·
I just picked up a 2016 800 with 800 miles that I got in a trade for a hell of a deal, the bike is bone stock and in great shape overall. It starts up and runs with no issue however it maxes out @ 35mph and almost feels like it is governed. I know that this bike should run at least into the 50's. The guy I got the bike from said that they replaced the throttle cable under warranty and it "used to go way faster until they replaced it" I am going to call the dealership that he had the work done at today and see what they have to say but I was wondering if anyone here had any ideas regarding this issue...... I am going to tinker with the throttle and cable this evening to see if maybe they set it wrong but figured it wouldn't hurt to ask ya'll before I start messing with it.

#4 ·
Are you using the right key?

#7 ·
I almost brought that up in my original post, I know that some can-ams had the reduced power key but after talking to a buddy last night that has a 16' defender 1000 he said that he had not been told anything about it when he bought his and didn't think that they had that option on these bikes. I remembered talknig to another friend a while back that had a commander and he had lost his normal key and only had the reduced power key so I knew that some of these bikes had that setup but was unsure about this one

#10 ·
You just need to read the message when you turn the key on and see if it says performance key . Very simple and fast . You don’t even need to start the engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#11 ·
There also is a work key but you are going faster than a work key permits

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
UPDATE REGARDING MY ISSUES

So last night was the first time that I was able to take the buggy off road as opposed to just riding back roads. There is a pretty big power issue, my buggy currently has some tiny 25" tires, in high gear it would not barely turn them in 4wd going through smaller mud holes and in low gear when in a decent mud hole it couldn't barely spin the tires. I am more than likely going to bring it in to a mechanic this coming week due to the fact that Im really not sure where to start looking regarding this issue. If anyone has any idea's by all means throw em out there so that I have a place to start looking.

#18 · (Edited)
What’s the rpm doing? Is it screaming but not going or is it low like the motor is weak?

If it’s just weak, clean the muffler screen, check fuel pressure, replace plugs. If it’s screaming, pull the cvt cover, check clutches and belt. If the belt has oil on it either your crank seal or gearbox seal is leaking and the belt is slipping.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.