Defender Storage Box Idea - Can-Am Commander Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-04-2019, 12:10 PM Thread Starter

Defender Storage Box Idea

I just wanted to throw this out there. I was riding with a guy who was using a waterproof toolbox for storage on his defender. It worked really slick. So I ordered this for around $30 from Acme Tools. It is the Dewault 28in waterproof toolbox. It is built very well. The $80 boxes you can get from Can Am to go under your seat hold about 3 gallons. This box will hold about 9 gallons on the inside. It fits perfect between the tie down points in the box. The bungee cord stays put on the lip of the box where it seals and holds it in. Just wanted to share this with everyone for another storage idea.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_112229.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	3.19 MB
ID:	60595   Click image for larger version

Name:	20190604_093145.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	3.27 MB
ID:	60597  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-12-2019, 08:39 AM

I needed to carry some tools and recovery gear around so I just went to tractor supply and bought a small/medium sized bed box. Used some large washers, eyebolt and turnbuckles to mount them to the bed. I wanted it to be removable and also didn't want to drill into the bed. Has been on several rides and has worked out well. Tons of storage
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	defender tool box.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	60649  
post #3 of 7 Old 06-13-2019, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texason View Post
I needed to carry some tools and recovery gear around so I just went to tractor supply and bought a small/medium sized bed box. Used some large washers, eyebolt and turnbuckles to mount them to the bed. I wanted it to be removable and also didn't want to drill into the bed. Has been on several rides and has worked out well. Tons of storage
Nice idea.....thx.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-17-2019, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

I really like your idea Texason. I probably would have went that route if I saw it first. Thanks for sharing.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-18-2019, 08:13 AM

Thanks.. It does get warm in the box fyi, but i am going to put some insulating material in the bottom to help reduce the heat. Other than that it works great.. I keep tools, jack, straps, snatch box etc..all locked up and accessible if needed.
post #6 of 7 Old 06-18-2019, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texason View Post
Thanks.. It does get warm in the box fyi, but i am going to put some insulating material in the bottom to help reduce the heat. Other than that it works great.. I keep tools, jack, straps, snatch box etc..all locked up and accessible if needed.
Are you saying it gets warm from the heat of the engine migrating up through the bed? If so, you may look at doing this. Should take care of that problem, and it is cheap and helps protect your bed in the process.....https://www.commanderforums.org/foru...o-bed-mat.html
post #7 of 7 Old Today, 08:29 AM

Thanks.. I saw that one the other day and I think I am going to do it. I really liked how it looked, and it may be enough height to clear the latch on the cooler without having to open the tailgate..LOL

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-am Defender Forums > Defender General Discussions