Gas smell on 2018 Defender H8 - Can-Am Commander Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 05-05-2019, 03:41 PM Thread Starter

Gas smell on 2018 Defender H8

Out for a ride today, when backing up, we smelled some gas. This is the second time this has happened. Today it's a bit warm, the defender was sitting in the cool garage before the ride and the outside quite a bit warmer. I turned the gas cap only to find it was a bit damp with gas on the lower edge. When I loosened the cap it did hiss indicating the tank was pressurized. I think they are like cars where they run with pressure in the tank. I find no evidence of an actual gas tank or fuel line leak. And we ride nearly 100% on gravel or pavement and have been on rough trail nearly never. So the chances of some rock damage is very low.

My suspicion is that the gas cap did not seal well. The other evidence of this is a high pitched squeal, just before the gas smell. I think this was gas vapor coming past the cap seal making a whistle sound. I also notice that when tightening the cap it clicks after very little tightening force.

Has anyone experienced this? Any suggestions on something else to look at? I plan to call the local Can Am dealer tomorrow and ask them what they thing.

Thanks in advice.

Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 05-05-2019, 03:51 PM

Not familiar with the defender but on the commander there is a fuel tank vent line and the tank is never under pressure. I found out a couple years in that a factory zip tie on said line was pinching off the vent. (Assumed that with age and heat the tube became more pliable) When I fueled up and the cap hissed I knew something was different. After removing the restriction Iíve not had any pressure in the tank since. I know my story is about a Commander but may you too. Good luck. Booger.

I may have to grow old, but you can't make me grow up!
post #3 of 5 Old 05-05-2019, 08:03 PM Thread Starter

Good info on the Commander. I suppose that it's possible that when I say my Defender tank is under pressure, that it is not supposed to be and in fact this is part of the problem. But I don't think so as it was this way (under pressure) from when it was new. The gas smell is something recent.

If it's an additional clue, I was backing up down a hill when I smelled the gas. The tank is at about 1/3rd, which is low since I usually run it well above half. I'm thinking that with so much vapor volume in it this is a chance for higher pressure due to the temp rise from leaving the cool garage. But even to me this is sounding like a stretch..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 05-14-2019, 08:36 AM Thread Starter

The dealer was unable to find any gas leak so they are bringing it back. They did find a bit of dirt on the gas cap seal, maybe that is all it was. I still suspect the gas cap itself.

In the process to diagnose the problem, they let it sit and run while facing up on an incline. I think maybe about a 30 degree incline. Hum, is that OK? Is there any risk of low oil pressure due to being on an incline? Due to oil pump not getting good oil supply. Or am I just paranoid on this? Seems that an engine in a UTV should be able to handle way steeper inclines without any oil pressure problems....

Thanks for any thoughts.
post #5 of 5 Old 05-14-2019, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

You wonít lose oil unless itís upside down . Guess fuel smell is from full tank of gas and you step inclines . The commander vent ends in front of the passenger side on frame behind glovebox. When full and pulling hills is well vent into the cab. X3 is same way.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-am Defender Forums > Defender General Discussions

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode