Windshield Questions - Can-Am Commander Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 05-03-2019, 10:47 AM Thread Starter

Windshield Questions

Ultimately I would love to have the CanAm Defender full glass tip out windshield, but da** on the price.....

Besides price, my one concern with the glass windshield is what happens if/when it chips and cracks? Is this something that can be easily replaced at an "affordable" price at your local glass shop? Has anybody out there had to do this with theirs? I'm not sure if this windshield is a flat piece of glass, or if it has a curvature to it (and if this makes a difference on easily being replaced)? I'd hate to spend a fortune on the glass windshield only to spend another fortune having to replace it if damaged....

For the concerns above, I was debating on going with the SuperATV full vented windshield to save a lot of $$$, but I'm concerned at how easy the composite windshields scratch.....

Also debating on going with the half windshield from CanAm, but worried it won't really block enough of the wind.

Welcome everyone's input on the windshields they are using, and any answers to the questions above....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 05-03-2019, 01:12 PM

Garage
Different machine but I have the can am half windshield on a commander max. It blocks plenty of wind, unless it's snowing or raining. Not much help with that sort of weather. I guess I didn't get the hardcoat either because after a single wash it's next to impossible to see out of if there's any glare from sun or other lights. So watch out for that.

Trying to enjoy the Newfoundland outdoors with the family!
post #3 of 15 Old 05-03-2019, 01:41 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by out west View Post
Ultimately I would love to have the CanAm Defender full glass tip out windshield, but da** on the price.....

Besides price, my one concern with the glass windshield is what happens if/when it chips and cracks? Is this something that can be easily replaced at an "affordable" price at your local glass shop? Has anybody out there had to do this with theirs? I'm not sure if this windshield is a flat piece of glass, or if it has a curvature to it (and if this makes a difference on easily being replaced)? I'd hate to spend a fortune on the glass windshield only to spend another fortune having to replace it if damaged....

For the concerns above, I was debating on going with the SuperATV full vented windshield to save a lot of $$$, but I'm concerned at how easy the composite windshields scratch.....

Also debating on going with the half windshield from CanAm, but worried it won't really block enough of the wind.

Welcome everyone's input on the windshields they are using, and any answers to the questions above....
I have the SATV flip up windshield on my '14 commander and wouldn't have any other type. Love the versatility and it has held up well.

Steve

2014 Commander 1000XT DPS
RT 2" Lift
RT HD Tie Rods
GP A-Arm and Shock Bushings
Audioformz top with Alpine radio and 4 speakers, backup light and interior dome light.
SuperATV Rock Sliders
Dirt Tamer Tires 27x12x12, 27x9x12
STI HD beadlock rims
SuperATV flip up windshield
40" LED lighbar
4K Viper Elite Widespool Winch
Switched Sports Low
UATV-Tech Lockup Mod
Holz Rack Stiffner
Hayden Fan Controller
Titanium Exhaust Wrap
Dirt Industries Doors
Troy's Console Cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 05-05-2019, 07:39 AM

I have the factory glass full tilt out windshield, and have had no issues with any chipping or scratching, are far as I can see it is flat. From what I have heard or read, Glass is the only thing that will not scratch.

2016 Defender HD10 XT Cab
6'6" Boss "V" plow
10" Rigid LED light bar front
6" Black Oak LED light bar rear.
BRP side mirrors.
BRP panoramic mirror.
Overhead Audio system.
Dome Light.
Power dump box.
HID headlights
Rockford Fosgate Amp
Polk MM1 speakers
Some other shit I'm sure I forgot.
post #5 of 15 Old 05-06-2019, 03:27 PM

Glass will scratch. I have a glass windshield and tried wiping some mud off with snow. Now I have some faint swirls in the glass. Maybe they can be buffed out, I don't know. Even the hard coat windshields will scratch if your not careful getting mud off. I've always had one of each. A half windshield for the summer and a full windshield (glass or plastic) for the winter. A rear windshield or wind screen is a very good idea as well to keep the swirling dust out of the cockpit.
post #6 of 15 Old 05-06-2019, 07:18 PM

I have the hard coated plastic. Been happy with it so far. Just take it off in the summer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 15 Old 05-07-2019, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input. I'm leaning towards going with the SuperATV full vented windshield in the front, and their back window as well. I just can't afford the CanAm glass windshields right now.
post #8 of 15 Old 05-08-2019, 07:39 PM

Starky1, I stand corrected, yes you are correct when mud pushed around instead of rinsed off the granules will scratch the glass. I was referring ( not so good at explaining) that when driving and you hit branches or it does get mud or dirt et on it and it is cleaned with plenty of water it will not scratch like plastic will, you can scratch plastic using a paper towel. I however do not know any thing about the "hard coated plastic" people are talking about, Is there a scratch resistance coating applied like they do to eyeglasses? or is it just a harder plastic?

2016 Defender HD10 XT Cab
6'6" Boss "V" plow
10" Rigid LED light bar front
6" Black Oak LED light bar rear.
BRP side mirrors.
BRP panoramic mirror.
Overhead Audio system.
Dome Light.
Power dump box.
HID headlights
Rockford Fosgate Amp
Polk MM1 speakers
Some other shit I'm sure I forgot.
post #9 of 15 Old 05-09-2019, 09:18 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuck11 View Post
Starky1, I stand corrected, yes you are correct when mud pushed around instead of rinsed off the granules will scratch the glass. I was referring ( not so good at explaining) that when driving and you hit branches or it does get mud or dirt et on it and it is cleaned with plenty of water it will not scratch like plastic will, you can scratch plastic using a paper towel. I however do not know any thing about the "hard coated plastic" people are talking about, Is there a scratch resistance coating applied like they do to eyeglasses? or is it just a harder plastic?
My understanding is it is a coating, but I don't know much about it. I don't have any experience with "hard coated" windshields, but I've had plastic windshields on other machines in the past. Just didn't like how you couldn't wash it normally without scratching...
post #10 of 15 Old 05-09-2019, 09:58 AM

https://www.polymerplastics.com/tran...exanmr10.shtml

14 XTP 1000 custom made race top lol, 30 in Sirius LED lightbar, 20 in led backup, DZ Fan overide,SSV works audio. Full Kolpin tilting windshield.BRP Lateral skids,Holtz Racing steering rack brace, Blingstar doors,Pro Armour door bags,Tusk cab bag,Troy's cool console cover,Can Am soft rear window,Denali 72" pro plow, Troy and Ed's clutch lockup mod!! Racer Tech lift and dual rate springs,oh yea!29.5x9" Warthogs on all 4's for now
And whatever else yanks at my wallet..OUCH !!!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-am Defender Forums > Defender General Discussions

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode