Defender Superwinch Terra 45 - Can-Am Commander Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By acefire
  • 1 Post By Tuck11
  • 1 Post By kuker21

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-23-2019, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Defender Superwinch Terra 45

Had a little mishap this weekend with my winch, I was pulling out some smaller stumps and all of a sudden she just blew up. I would of thought that once I reached my maximum pull it would of just stopped?
I contacted one dealer who said that since it was not a Cam Am part I had to go to Superwinch for any warranty claims, I emailed Superwinch twice and have yet to hear from them, I read a few post on Superwinch's facebook page and a lot of people have emails and phone calls into them with no response.
I told him the winch came on my machine from the factory and even said Can Am on it, he didn't seem to care. Next I called my original Dealer (Prime Powersports in Shawano WI.) The owner stated that I had to bring my defender back into dealership with the winch attached. The winch was in about 15 pieces and was no longer attached to the frame. I sent a picture and offered to box up the winch and send it in or drop it off and the answer was no. (dealer is over 2 1/2 hour drive) and anybody that took there machine into a dealer knows it will be there for a month or two.
So I have absolutely no faith that I will ever hear from Superwinch (I heard that they got bought out by Westin)
And the dealer is a dead end unless I want to spend more money and time than the winch is worth, so I guess I'll go winch hunting.
Thanks for letting me air out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image1.jpeg
Views:	38
Size:	1.64 MB
ID:	60251  

2016 Defender HD10 XT Cab
6'6" Boss "V" plow
10" Rigid LED light bar front
6" Black Oak LED light bar rear.
BRP side mirrors.
BRP panoramic mirror.
Overhead Audio system.
Dome Light.
Power dump box.
HID headlights
Rockford Fosgate Amp
Polk MM1 speakers
Some other shit I'm sure I forgot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-23-2019, 10:59 PM
Super Moderator

It sucks but best solution is to buy another winch. If you do dealer know telling when you will get your machine back. And only company I and friends have had any luck with on warranty was warn . But they cost more .
Nevadahalfrack likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-23-2019, 11:50 PM

Garage
Wow, I have that same winch on my defender. Hope I don't have the same issue. I bought mine at the dealer and had the dealer install it. That dealer is like 3.5-4 hours from me, I'd be raising hell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-24-2019, 09:10 AM

http://www.westinautomotive.com/imag...ASE_041219.pdf

Love my Superwinch. I hope that they get things on track soon.

2012 Commander 1000X, Super atv power steering, QE diff swap, Gorilla front axles, Maverick diff, Racertech 2" lift, 1 1/2" stretched trailing arms, 2" wheel spacers, Can Am Pro Armor doors, Can Am full skids, Can Am stereo, Garmin Montana 650 GPS, DZ motorsports sport low and fan override, 26 inch Original Bighorns, some lights and some switches.
post #5 of 8 Old 04-25-2019, 06:19 PM

Westin bought them out & either don’t care about expanding or didn’t think about the service infrastructure..

https://www.autocareweek.com/westin-...inch-55997.htm

Last edited by Nevadahalfrack; 05-06-2019 at 09:55 AM. Reason: Explanation
post #6 of 8 Old 05-05-2019, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Wrote Superwinch twice about my winch and even sent a picture, nothing but crickets from Superwinch. If you go on there website and look at their products almost all of them say sold out? I looked at parts also and all are sold out? It looks like Superwinch doesn't want to sell winches anymore. If you need a new or replacement winch Stay Away from Superwinch, Since being bought out it looks like Westin is shutting them down.
Nevadahalfrack likes this.

2016 Defender HD10 XT Cab
6'6" Boss "V" plow
10" Rigid LED light bar front
6" Black Oak LED light bar rear.
BRP side mirrors.
BRP panoramic mirror.
Overhead Audio system.
Dome Light.
Power dump box.
HID headlights
Rockford Fosgate Amp
Polk MM1 speakers
Some other shit I'm sure I forgot.
post #7 of 8 Old 05-10-2019, 09:53 AM

Tuck this happened to my friend about last october. He said all of a sudden he heard his winch explode. the end of the winch was attached to his bumper. It started going on it's own and blew up because it couldn't pull in anymore. this happened as he was driving down a gravel road. The dealer wouldn't fix it because they said it was a superwinch warranty. He told them that is started going on it's own so there must be an electrical issue. The dealer then told him that a stick jammed in and somehow pushed a button. He then had no luck with Superwinch and he just a month ago said screw it and bought a warn. I think your best bet is to buy a new one. He got no where with anyone in 6 months.
Tuck11 likes this.
post #8 of 8 Old 05-11-2019, 12:01 PM

Sad to see what was once a good company go into the toilet like that. Kinda curious as to when the quality began to head into the morass and why..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-am Defender Forums > Defender General Discussions

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode