Can-Am Commander Forum banner

17 max xt won’t keep turning over to start

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Troy 
#1 ·
So long story made way short the machine has been an absolute lemon since I bought it brand new. Latest issue is the machine won’t turn over to start. Battery is good brand new. Connections are great. We haven’t dug down to the starter yet but it just bumps then clicks. The battery has plenty of charge and jumping it doesn’t change the bump click then nothing.

Oh cherry on top I have rode the machine 3 times in 2 years every trip returns to the truck in limp mode. I bought it for hunting but spend more time working on gremlins. My outlander was such an amazing machine. This thing is an absolute waste.

57.1 miles on it so far and the local shop that I bought it from has been ZERO help since I bought it. First trip was limp mode return and their parking lot analysis was metal from the break in causing the speed sensor to go into limp mode. They wouldn’t even bring it into the shop. Oil changed twice now because the next trip did the same thing. We couldn’t find any metal in the oil but the shop told me on the phone it will clear itself up and I could pay to have it serviced but they won’t warranty anything. The shop wouldn’t warranty anything because I didn’t have enough miles on it to be serviced. They cleared the codes and sent me on my way. I’m so frustrated lately because it’s like I threw $20k in the trash. I want it to run right so bad and defend the machine all the time to friends and family but I may be done making excuses for this POS that won’t even start now.

See less See more
#3 ·
I bought it at river and sea. I have been an AMDS customer my whole life. This is the first machine I ever bought at river and sea and it’s been utterly horrible experience. I wish I waited for AMDS to have the machine I wanted since I grew up riding with those guys.

I have argued with the dealer since my first weekend with it. They won’t do anything about it, except charge me for their time. Not a single helpful conversation has happened in two years since I bought it from them.

#6 ·
Hey AKStringer,

Thanks for reaching out. We are sorry to hear of your experience with your XT MAX unit. BRP strives to produce quality units and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience.

Could you please send us an email to brp.care@brp.com and we will be happy to hear your story and see how we can help. Please make sure to provide your VIN number as well so we can locate your file.

We are looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Vanessa-BRPcare

#7 ·
The clicking sound is from a loose battery cable or bad starter solenoid . Since you have been getting limp home happening I would bet you have a loose ground cable where it mounts to the frame . Any bad cable connection and the ECM looses its mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: acefire
#10 ·
So pretty stupid but honestly who would have thought. Ended up being a dead cell in the battery this time. The battery was brand new with zero trips taken on it so I didn’t check it right away. Thought it had to be something else. Once I swapped the battery with a backup battery it fired right up. Never would have thought battery with it being a brand new one that worked 2 weeks ago. Really glad I didn’t tear it down to the starter.

With as many issues as this machine has had why wouldn’t I be on my third battery in 57 miles.

#11 ·
Put a test light between the hot cable and the post and see if it lights up with key in off position. You may have something burning the cells out. Guessing this last battery was just bad out of box . But no way it should have burnt the first one up 57 miles . Also put a meter on it and see what the high rpm voltage is showing . Maybe regulator is over charging and burning them up .

#12 ·
13.8 volts is normal and don’t want to see higher than 14.2 or you will cook the battery

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.