Wired Hayden Switch. Now Problems - Can-Am Commander Forum
 6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old 03-21-2019, 01:51 PM Thread Starter

Wired Hayden Switch. Now Problems

Okay so I wired the Hayden switch and put it on a toggle (can am look alike fan switch). I hooked the hot from the Hayden into the same hot running from the Accessory plug to the toggle to give it power. I got power at first but soon as I was riding I noticed no toggle light was on. Fan was coming on a regular temps. So I pull it in the shop and now I am getting no power to the accessory plug. Any suggestions on what happened and how to fix it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old 03-21-2019, 04:10 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Okay so I wired the Hayden switch and put it on a toggle (can am look alike fan switch). I hooked the hot from the Hayden into the same hot running from the Accessory plug to the toggle to give it power. I got power at first but soon as I was riding I noticed no toggle light was on. Fan was coming on a regular temps. So I pull it in the shop and now I am getting no power to the accessory plug. Any suggestions on what happened and how to fix it?

Did you check your fuses? If it was me I would find a stronger power than the accessory wire
post #3 of 30 Old 03-21-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter

Update. I tied into the 12v source instead and it popped. Both acc and 12v run off 15a mini fuse so I went up to a 20a and it held fine for a bit. Eventually popped but now I see the cooling fan fuse is a 25a. Would it hurt to put a 25a in the 12v spot?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old 03-21-2019, 04:46 PM

Garage
Its all 12v. The fuse is there to protect the wire. You might melt the existing wire that is only rated for 15 amp.
post #5 of 30 Old 03-21-2019, 04:48 PM
Super Moderator

You donít want anymore than 15 amp on that acc wire. Is a 16 or 18 gauge wire fan 25amp wire is either 14 or 12. You will over load it running fan thatís why you popped first two fuses.
post #6 of 30 Old 03-21-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter

Pretty sure wiring is 16 gauge. I did stick a 25 in and itís all running fine as of now. No burnt wires or popped fuses but if someone could send me a picture of a wire that is hooked into the ignition that runs off at least 25 so I can run this wire elsewhere when I get some time? I need it ran from ignition because the toggle Iím using is backlit. If I run it to the battery it stays lit all the time

post #7 of 30 Old 03-21-2019, 05:12 PM

Garage
You will need to add a relay to accomplish this. Your line run from the battery and the control side of it to the acc wire.
Edit. Just looking at your drawing and it appears you already have a relay. Take the red wire off the switch and run it to the battery with a 25amp fuse in series, using the larger 14 guage wire. Also upgrade the wire going to the fan and ground.

Last edited by Rubberdown; 03-21-2019 at 05:38 PM.
post #8 of 30 Old 03-21-2019, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

alright so I think Iíve got it figured out. Instead of the red wire from the Hayden being tied in with the toggle switch, I need to wire it separately to the battery with an in-line 25 amp fuse. Yet keep the switch wired to the extra accessory plug

post #9 of 30 Old 03-21-2019, 07:27 PM

Those acc wires aren’t gonna handle the fan. Eventually they’ll overheat. I don’t trust the acc wires over 15 amp. I use the acc power to run relay triggers and switch backlighting and pull main power off the battery for anything that requires much juice.
Hammerhead800 likes this.

2011 1000XT
post #10 of 30 Old 03-21-2019, 07:30 PM Thread Starter

Re-wiring red wire from Hayden to the battery with fuse right now, will let yíall know how it goes

slowindown likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander Technical Discussion > Commander Lighting, Stereo and Electrical

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode