Interesting conversation on brands and stability - Can-Am Commander Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By acefire

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 08-19-2019, 09:21 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Interesting conversation on brands and stability

I've been riding with a group that has mostly Polaris rides and got into a good discussion with one of the guys....he actually has an can am X3. Basically I have very limited seat time in a polaris but the one thing I did notice is that with the rear engine, the front end seemed awful light. I personally would be uncomfortable climbing a hill especially if it had rocky shelfs with that light of a front end. (I'm sure it is just a matter of getting used to it). Anyways...... he says that with the rear engine like the Polaris has and the X3 that they are much more stable on off camber rides due to the lower center of gravity. I'm not sure what to think about this. What is you guys take on this?

Steve

2014 Commander 1000XT DPS
RT 2" Lift
RT HD Tie Rods
GP A-Arm and Shock Bushings
Audioformz top with Alpine radio and 4 speakers, backup light and interior dome light.
SuperATV Rock Sliders
Dirt Tamer Tires 27x12x12, 27x9x12
STI HD beadlock rims
SuperATV flip up windshield
40" LED lighbar
4K Viper Elite Widespool Winch
Switched Sports Low
UATV-Tech Lockup Mod
Holz Rack Stiffner
Hayden Fan Controller
Titanium Exhaust Wrap
Dirt Industries Doors
Troy's Console Cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 08-19-2019, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

First hand knowledge If you are sitting on the floor and motor is bolts low to the main frame you canít get the center of gravity any lower. The better the suspension the better the stability will be. Weight and length also play a big part. I personally know that the rear engine x3 and 1000 popos are more capable in any situation over the short wheel base machines . Do to the added length on the x3 the front end is actually heavier than the front of the commander . So it will off chamber and climb much better than the commander. We found this out in Moab last fall. The popo general front end would not stay on the ground as well the Maverikís were extremely light up in the front even with bumpers and winches added. One rock face in particular we had to winch all the short wheel base machine from the bottom to the top do to stair step ledges. The shirt machines just wanted to raise the front and go over backwards. The x3ís and the 900 4seat rzr made it up without a which . So the added length and weight played a key part in traction . Hope this is was what you were looking for. lol or I just did a lot of typing only to give you the wrong answer.
Bill_Rowe likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 08-19-2019, 10:25 AM Thread Starter

Garage
Ace...That is exactly what I was looking for. I agree that the 4 seaters being longer would give you better stability. More thinking along the lines of just regular 2 seaters. I always thought that the mid engine would be more stable but I can see the logic and it makes sense. How was it with just comparing the 2 seaters?

Steve

RT 2" Lift
RT HD Tie Rods
Audioformz top with Alpine radio and 4 speakers, backup light and interior dome light.
SuperATV Rock Sliders
STI HD beadlock rims
40" LED lighbar
Switched Sports Low
UATV-Tech Lockup Mod
Holz Rack Stiffner
Hayden Fan Controller
Titanium Exhaust Wrap
Dirt Industries Doors
Troy's Console Cover
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 08-19-2019, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

No issues between the x3 2 or 4 seat . The 4 seat x3 was the xrs 72Ē and it being long and low to ground was still amazing. The 4 seat 900 popo was same length as 2 seat x3. So even though the suspension on it sucked compared to x3 the added length made it just as capable in the off chamber and on the hill climbs. The rocks we climbed while out there I would have never attempted in my commander even with good suspension itís just to short and to light up front even with the mid engine. If you jump straight out of a commander or any short wheel base sxs and into a 4seat or 2 seat long wheel base your confidence level increases 10 fold in the first 2 miles . X3 and popo 1000 have really good suspension off the show room floor but even they have room to do another 5000$ in suspension work to them to make them preform at their best. But no suspension in the world will help going from a short 2 seat to a long 2 seat x3 with stock suspension.
post #5 of 7 Old 08-19-2019, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Ps Iím spoiled!!! I still have my commander which I havenít driven in over two years now . But I have as much seat time in a 17 x3 xds thatís not mine . But same amount of miles in both seats. Once you move up to the big machines itís hard to go back. I would actually rather ride my quad than drive the commander around now. Commander is a great machine it has always done what I wanted it to do. But I like the power to weight ratio of the x3 and like I said the stock suspension is all a person needs for normal get it and go trail or rock crawling . And the 16 xmr quad will also eat the commander alive quad has 89hp 1000 at 600# less in weight compared to the commander at 85 hp and 1500+#.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-19-2019, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

Garage
How about 2 seat popo's?

Steve

RT 2" Lift
RT HD Tie Rods
SuperATV Rock Sliders
STI HD beadlock rims
40" LED lighbar
Switched Sports Low
UATV-Tech Lockup Mod
Holz Rack Stiffner
Hayden Fan Controller
Titanium Exhaust Wrap
Dirt Industries Doors
Troy's Console Cover
post #7 of 7 Old 08-19-2019, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

Interesting conversation on brands and stability

The 1000 newer 2seat have good suspension stock but everyone I know has modified the suspension. They are low center of gravity with longer wheel base than the old 800 and 900 two seat so again the added length is always a plus . Watched them climb just as well in Moab. Popo is a lot cheaper than x3 . My cousin picked up a 4 seat popo turbo new for 17800 165hp. Compared to 21k for base 120hp x3. But they are still catching on fire . So cheaper but still more deadly in my opinion.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode