Can't get a break on the steering rack # 5 - Can-Am Commander Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Can't get a break on the steering rack # 5

After the latest ride on Virginia Spearhead's Mountain View, I have gone through yet another steering rack. This makes number 4. The first rack/tie rods made it 1200 miles until I decked a hidden tree stump. I then switched over to a SATV Rack boss (after blowing through a poorly designed RT Pro HD tie rod) which lasted a whole hour of use. SATV replaced the Rack boss under warrantee (I had to of coerce cover labor) and tie rods which lasted about 50 hours of use as did the next set of factory bushings. At the end of my rope, I replaced the upper and lower A-arms, steering knuckle, returned to the factory steering rack and tie rods and upgrade to Garage Products bushings hoping that this would come to an end. I had about 35 hours on this setup when coming out of a creek up a washed out embankment I got the passenger side wheel stuck in a deep rut and caught the wheel slightly turned and ended up breaking the bead of the passenger side tire (PSI 13, no bead locks). I guess that I was going about 10 mph max. 4 other bikes (Wolverine, Talon X and 2 Razors) that did this and all of the other trails during the 2 day ride suffered no breakdowns. We were riding mostly black trails and a few blue (Spearhead blues are Hatfield Blacks and their blacks are Windrock blues for reference). The factory tie rods does not appear to be bent on either side. There is a tremendous amount of play on one side (passgr) . The other side (driver) is tight. One of the Garage Products bushings is bad. BRP approved the warrantee of the steering rack as the dealer who did the install filed the claim and fought for it (the only way to get BRP to warrantee). I'm left wondering if there is some sort of hidden problem with my Commander that caused the last rack failure? Was the last factory rack defective? or was it damaged because of that run and the way I hit it? Having a busted rack every 50 hours is too much and too expensive. I rode hard on the first rack and first 1200 miles and on the not so great factory bushings until a legitimate hit broke them and I bet would have broken any RZR or X3's rack/tie rods. The SATV rack was just junky, lots of play, made in China, easy to break a spline tooth; the tie rods were solid but transferred the energy of a hit directly to the SATV rack. The OEM rack seems to sacrifice the outer first and then the whole thing (rods/rack). Not sure what to do. Stay on mild trails and away from rough black and accept the limits of the Commander or buy a different SxS? Last factor is wheel spacers. I have on 1.5" STI spacers all around to compensate for the tippy feeling. BPR engeneer (when BRP was willing to speak to a customer) said that it was no problem so long as each were under 3". Dealer states that they should come off and may be contributing to rack failures. Thoughts?

2017 Commander 1000XT DPS - Mossy Oak Edition
RT Pro 2"lift (best mod)
SATV HD tie rods/Rackboss steering rack (worst mod)
Turnkey spare tire carrier
BRP trailing arm/A-arm protectors, lateral skid plates, side mirror, panoramic center mirror, headlight guards, rock sliders, half windshield, rear windscreen, sport roof, Maverick post air filter, Twin Air filter, Profill gas tank sock filter, Maverick belt, sport doors, door bags, LED light bar/roof rack.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 08:43 PM
Super Moderator

What yr??
post #3 of 18 Old 07-09-2019, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Ok yr in your signature. Send factory rack to super dave bushings . For black or blue trails. Running same rack now for 4000 miles rebuilt it once at 3800. Old style RT tie rods . The equivalent to them now are the turnkey rods. Have replaced the joints 3x in 4000 miles. Getting 1500 ish out of super Daves aarm bushings . Factory was only 400 miles. I get between 250 and 400 on ball joints . Factory ball joints last me the longest. Super dave rebuild on factory rack is closest thing you will find to bullet proof the rack. Junk the wheel spacers they do nothing to help the tippy feeling . The tippy feeling is you shock springs plan and simple . Nothing else will help or stop the body roll. Being 2Ē wide just makes you 2Ē farther from the ground when and if you flop it. The spacers also add leverage to everything in the front end . So it will only add stress to front end wear items. Not knocking your driving skills by no means but it sounds like you have a obstacle avoidance issue. I donít care how big or how small a rock or what ever is in the trail if you can avoid it then you need to avoid it. The dps allows you to hit things and then gives you no feed back that you hit it. Meaning you are hitting obstacles on the trail a lot harder than you think . But because you donít feel it you tend to not worry about hitting it the next time around . Good suspension also helps release stress on the machine .
Bill_Rowe and homer32 like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 09-06-2019, 06:49 PM

Reviving this thread because I need help. Iím hoping some of you that have replaced your rack can give me some insight. Thanks in advance. Boog.
My story goes like this: After hunting season last year, I could barely load my 2013 X on the trailer. I loaded backwards (because of my plow.) I figured my troubles were from the mud, snow, and incline but finally got it on the trailer. When I got home I found that I could barely steer at all even on dry ground. My factory rack was destroyed, literally in pieces and the mount was ripped from the frame. I bought a rackzilla HD rack, gusseted and welded the frame/rack mount, installed rack brace, and put everything back together. Before removing the jack stands I grabbed a tire and cycled the steering back and forth to check for any clearance issues or binding and I noticed a popping as I cycled to the right and I can make it happen when I cycle back. I have cycled it this way a million times over the last few months while I pull my hair out trying to fix this issue. Any thoughts or ideas from you folks that have replaced your rack would be great. Thanks Boog.

Some random noteworthy stuff (maybe) to avoid rehashing whatís been done.
Rack has 0 miles because I caught this issue. Stinger has left the garage twice to gently pull into the back yard and park because I needed the space.
Clevisí are clocked correctly.
All front end components are newer and tight.
I did not install the rackzilla supplied spacer between the rack and the mount, because I was told it wouldnít work.
And finally during the install I did not loosen the DPS bolts as Iíve been told it is not necessary. However; when I cycle the steering by hand and it pops/binds I can see the DPS brackets flex. If I loosen the ones on the drivers side that I can get to, it goes away. If I tighten them down it comes right back, so Iím trying to figure out whatís binding. Has anyone else experienced this. Thanks for the read. Boog.

I may have to grow old, but you can't make me grow up!
post #5 of 18 Old 09-17-2019, 05:31 PM

So nobody has any thoughts on this? Booger disappointed in the forum now. : (

post #6 of 18 Old 09-17-2019, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

Loosen the passenger side bolts and drive side . Let it self center then tighten them all back up .
post #7 of 18 Old 09-17-2019, 10:45 PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #8 of 18 Old 09-17-2019, 10:46 PM

Thanks. Iíll get right on that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #9 of 18 Old 09-18-2019, 04:40 PM

Does anyone know which way the coupler between the rack and the DPS and the the steering shaft and DPS orientate. Do the blind teeth go opposite the opening on the couplers? Thanks. Booger.

post #10 of 18 Old 09-18-2019, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

Guess that would depend where your blind tooth is on the rack . Rack blind tooth if timed like must should be pointed towards the left head lights.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion

Tags
bushings, garage products, satv, steering rack, tie rods

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode