unfortunate incident - Can-Am Commander Forum
 57Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 77 Old 04-24-2019, 09:06 AM Thread Starter

Angry unfortunate incident

I took my 2016 limited into my Gold certified can am service shop for complete 3,000 mile service and got it back last Monday. We went riding on Saturday and after 3 hrs. I completely lost all power. I knew I wasn't going to make it back to camp so was looking for the first place to pull off the trail. The engine died in the middle of the trail and the tires locked up and I stopped on a dime. My friend was behind me and frantically trying to catch me because I was leaving a massive trail of oil behind me, he came speeding around the corner and slammed into me quite hard bending my rear bumper and shattering my lower tailgate. I tried to crank the engine and it was seized. He towed me back to camp and I crawled under to see (yep you guessed it) a threaded hole where an oil drain plug is supposed to be!!

I crawled back under with my phone and snapped 2 very clear pictures which I took to the dealer with my service invoice on Monday. They were very embarrassed and apologetic and told me to bring it in and they would tear it down and repair anything that is damaged. Yesterday I was removing the subwoofer and other addons so they could work on it and by curiosity I tried to crank it and it cranked. (not seized) Does any body know if there is some sort of low oil pressure shutdown system and what I can expect as far as damages from the short run with no oil?
Bill_Rowe likes this.

Limited with full aluminum protection underneath, rear bumper, headlight screens, Kenwood subwoofer, 7 speaker surround, aluminum doors, XM receiver, street legal kit with ooga horn, cool cover with header wrap, Dalton kit with low primary spring
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 77 Old 04-24-2019, 09:08 AM

Man that stinks. I hope they take care of you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bill_Rowe likes this.

I may have to grow old, but you can't make me grow up!
post #3 of 77 Old 04-24-2019, 09:22 AM

That sucks! Glad they were stand up enough to repair it. That kind of accountability without a little arm twisting is, unfortunately, rare these days

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Bill_Rowe likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 77 Old 04-24-2019, 09:30 AM
Super Moderator

Low oil will scroll on dash and go into limp mode when it loses oil pressure . It doesnít come on when oil is low . Just when no pressure. If it was locked when you stopped it seized . Once it cooled down the clearance opened up it let it turn . Guessing motor is toast hopefully if they didnít tighten the plug they take care of it. And rebuild wouldnít be a option for them . New crate motor . Not a patch job.
Hammerhead800 likes this.
post #5 of 77 Old 04-24-2019, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by acefire View Post
Low oil will scroll on dash and go into limp mode when it loses oil pressure . It doesnít come on when oil is low . Just when no pressure. If it was locked when you stopped it seized . Once it cooled down the clearance opened up it let it turn . Guessing motor is toast hopefully if they didnít tighten the plug they take care of it. And rebuild wouldnít be a option for them . New crate motor . Not a patch job.
I figured as much but was halfheartedly hopeful that the loss of power may have been the limp mode before it shutdown. I'll keep you all posted as this debacle unravels.
Bill_Rowe likes this.

Limited with full aluminum protection underneath, rear bumper, headlight screens, Kenwood subwoofer, 7 speaker surround, aluminum doors, XM receiver, street legal kit with ooga horn, cool cover with header wrap, Dalton kit with low primary spring
post #6 of 77 Old 04-24-2019, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Yeah keep up to date what they do. It will start while In Limp mode . But not if itís seized of course .
post #7 of 77 Old 04-24-2019, 01:28 PM

I would suggest some strategic marks on the engine case so you'll know what you get back. I'd be expecting them to fix the rear end, too. You were in an accident because it stalled due to their negligence. Frankly, you're buddies repairs on them, too. Probably be hard to get that far without going to court.

Sorry to hear your story!

Dirt, hmm, I may be an addict!
2014 XT-P, BRP Roof, Windshield, Doors, Factory UTV Skids
A collection of the original "Can" products- Cannondale ATV's and MC
Yamaha, Kawi, and Suzuki are all represented in the stable
Specialized Epic MTB for the workouts- lotsa fun, hurts so good!
Might as well throw a Jeep LJR in for good measure
post #8 of 77 Old 04-25-2019, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by NRath View Post
I would suggest some strategic marks on the engine case so you'll know what you get back. I'd be expecting them to fix the rear end, too. You were in an accident because it stalled due to their negligence. Frankly, you're buddies repairs on them, too. Probably be hard to get that far without going to court.

Sorry to hear your story!
I told them they were responsible for the collision damage and they pushed back but haven't said yes or no yet. My insurance guy has offered to represent me on this if needed. I have been dealing with the General Manager and plan on insisting on a "sit down" with the owner. They have my machine and I am waiting to hear from them after they assess the damage.
Bill_Rowe likes this.

post #9 of 77 Old 04-25-2019, 09:26 AM

I hope for your sake that they replace that motor. I would accept nothing less. As far as the accident, I think that is on your buddy. If anybody else was stopped on the trail and he hit them he would be liable.

Neil.
nick1993 likes this.

2012 Commander 1000X, Super atv power steering, QE diff swap, Gorilla front axles, Maverick diff, Racertech 2" lift, 1 1/2" stretched trailing arms, 2" wheel spacers, Can Am Pro Armor doors, Can Am full skids, Can Am stereo, Garmin Montana 650 GPS, DZ motorsports sport low and fan override, 26 inch Original Bighorns, some lights and some switches.
post #10 of 77 Old 04-25-2019, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiserheads View Post
I hope for your sake that they replace that motor. I would accept nothing less. As far as the accident, I think that is on your buddy. If anybody else was stopped on the trail and he hit them he would be liable.

Neil.

This is true except his engine locked up and if his friend was trying to wave him down to stop him probably didn't have much time to react

2013 dps
30x10 bighorns
amr camo graphics
6inch lightbar backup light
12 inch lightbar on bumper
40 inch lightbar under roof
emp aluminum roof
dome light
super atv bumper
emp full 7 piece skid plate
xt wheels
low sport mode
horn
tusk cab pack
tusk rear wind screen
prp 4.2 harness
harness bar
g force belt
back up mirror
xeneon hid conversion kit, high and low beam
1/2 winshield
bandit shocks (RIP)
Fox 2.0s on racertech dual rates
Viper Elite 4500 lb widespool
"GOOD FOR THE WEEKEND"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode