Commander or Maverick Sport?? - Can-Am Commander Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 04-14-2019, 11:43 AM Thread Starter

Commander or Maverick Sport??

Did a search here but found very little info. I am looking at getting out of ATV's and into a SXS. Looking at the Maverick Sport 1000 and the Commander 1000. I do mostly light trail riding 75-100 miles a run in Northern Wisconsin and sometimes haul a chainsaw, shovel and other tools around for trail maintenance. I'm NOT an aggressive rider nor a mudder but likely will run into some mud on occasion. I usually cruise 30-40 mph and occasionally get up to 55-60. I really see no benefit with the Maverick other than a few more ponies but just want to make sure i'm making the right choice. It also seems like theirs more aftermarket items for the Commander and is cheaper as well. Any input?? Am i missing anything??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 04-14-2019, 12:16 PM

Donít know much about the maverick other than itís a full sport sxs where a commander is a utility/sport sxs. Iím new to the sxs world as well I recently bought a commander and what really sold me on it was the fact that it has more than enough power, the bed on it (just to occasionally do some work out of and put a spray tank on for spraying season), and of course the bucket seats. We do a lot of long rides and thereís no way I wanted to have a bench seat for those. Basically getting the best of both worlds is what I saw from it. As for the notorious cab heat I canít tell you a lot on it i havenít had it through hot weather yet but I went ahead and did a couple things to prevent it before it ever had to be encountered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mjstef likes this.
post #3 of 19 Old 04-14-2019, 12:32 PM

I 2nd RacerX almost word for word. Should be pretty easy for you to decide based solely on utility use. If you don't need a bed for property or animal care (or whatever) I'd be looking at the Maverick.
Regarding interior heat, I'd think a guy in WI would see that as a positive. Put in some removable vents or a 2nd set of sidecovers and you get alot of usable heat out of it helping to stretch the SXS season a little.
Like you're thinking, I saw the Commander as offering a pretty high level of sport quality but I opted upscale a little with the XTp package. But, it must have some utility use too. I'm hoping that a little tweaking makes this one a perfect machine for us.
mjstef likes this.

Dirt, hmm, I may be an addict!
2014 XT-P, BRP Roof, Windshield, Doors, Factory UTV Skids
A collection of the original "Can" products- Cannondale ATV's and MC
Yamaha, Kawi, and Suzuki are all represented in the stable
Specialized Epic MTB for the workouts- lotsa fun, hurts so good!
Might as well throw a Jeep LJR in for good measure
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 04-14-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

Are both about the same for heat? Drove a Wildcat last year and that damn thing was an oven at 75*!!
post #5 of 19 Old 04-14-2019, 03:09 PM

I donít know where the motor is on the Mav (havenít had time to learn about sxs world) but on the defender itís behind the seats so theyíre cooler... and as far as the commander itís right between the seats. I went ahead and added the Hayden switch (love it) and a tite tops console cover. Console cover is 235 shipped to my door so a little pricey and Hayden switch is 35 at parts house, Iím pretty strict on wanting everything to match switch wise or hiding switches so I ordered the ON/OFF engine fan switch to replicate Can Am oem switches for 15 bucks. Installation was pretty simple and straight forward

mjstef likes this.
post #6 of 19 Old 04-14-2019, 06:41 PM

If you are not into all out performance and handling. Then a Commander will fill your needs nicely. The 1000 has plenty of power. With a few mods it can be made to handle pretty good also. I bought a Commander because I needed a machine that could haul a load, like an elk, out of the hills. But still be fun when empty. It is also one of the most comfortable, for me, SxS I have driven.
I ride with a couple of guys that have RZR 900s. With mods done to my buggy, I have no problems keeping up. Nor do they complain when I lead the way. It does not handle as well as a RZR but it does the job. My commander handles all road/ trail conditions well. Its no mud bogger. But does pretty good in mud and snow. Its a good, dependable all around trail buggy.
Boogerhead and mjstef like this.

The beauty of the Second Amendment is, that it will not be needed until they try to take it

2011 Commander 1000 X.
2 piece tilting windshield, vinyl top, can am dust screen, CSI Outer Armor soft doors, Quadgear soft 2 gun case
Rackzilla rack and pinion. Maverick Gear Box with sport low, Lock up Clutch, RT lift, Torque lock
K&N Air filter, Airaid, EJK
post #7 of 19 Old 04-14-2019, 08:28 PM

The sheer fact you are looking at using the machine for work related activities my vote would be the Commander. Difference in fun factor between the two based on your intended use and riding style would be minimal to nil.
There would however be a noticeable difference on the work side not having a tilting box and the larger cargo capacity to carry tools. Just my two cents.
post #8 of 19 Old 04-15-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter

So went and looked at another Commander today and the dealer also had a 19 Polaris General. Lets just say CanAm better be updating the commander quick like. The General had a much better layout and was more comfortable......
post #9 of 19 Old 04-15-2019, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
So went and looked at another Commander today and the dealer also had a 19 Polaris General. Lets just say CanAm better be updating the commander quick like. The General had a much better layout and was more comfortable......

Thereís a video on YouTube by DirtTrax comparing the commander and general. Give it a view

post #10 of 19 Old 04-16-2019, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post

Thereís a video on YouTube by DirtTrax comparing the commander and general. Give it a view

Saw it, The General takes top honors. I'm torn now.....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode