Looking to buy a CanAm - Can-Am Commander Forum
 9Likes
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Unread 04-13-2019, 06:45 PM Thread Starter

Looking to buy a CanAm

Looking to buy my first SxS and itíll be a CanAm. Iíve owned about everything else over the last 40 years.

My buddy bought a first year 1000 Defender new a few years ago and I really like it. Itís a four door. He just added a two door 800 Defender a couple weeks ago. I like it also. He works his more than I would mine. I will hunt out of it , work some, but really just ride and have a few beers.

Iím not opposed to a Defender but I think Iíd like something a little more sporty. Definitely want a two door. Will want a cab so nothing that canít have a cab. The Comanders look close to what I want. That said what are my options? Is there another possible option? What is the good and bad of a Commander? Is the heat that bad.

I will be buying new.

Open to suggestions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Unread 04-13-2019, 07:36 PM

I love my Commander itís the perfect size for me. Iíve looked at the Defender but ultimately decided itís to big for what I want. I work my Commander some around the yard plowing etc. but mostly just use it for riding and hunting. The heat issue has never bothered me but I do have a Troyís console cover. I also have an aftermarket cab on mine with heat and wipers. Good luck with your decision. Booger.

I may have to grow old, but you can't make me grow up!
post #3 of 38 Unread 04-13-2019, 08:07 PM

I use my for play mudding and trial riding. It's not bad for what I paid for it but I had to add about 3k worth of upgrades, winch , front bumper, lights, tires, wheel, tie rods and heat reduction for the interior, front locker ( visit Lok sucks) fox shocks ( stock shocks suck) and a clutch (stock clutch is horrible) other than that it has the power I want I don't do speed so much more crawling so the torque is fine. I think next I replace the seats and add doors as mine are worn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Unread 04-14-2019, 08:03 AM

This is my first SxS. Bought mine new last year to use around the property. First thoughts are these are powered by the same drive train as the ATV's from canam. So your SxS weighs 3x as much as a normal ATV. Also its much bigger to run around and store. I like it for what I use it for, its not used for trail riding on my end at all. I also really just putter around the property and so far havent had any issues yet.
I added a roof, and full windshield, side nerf bars, rear bumpers. I dont have doors, as for me they would be in the way. The in cab heat isnt an issue since I dont have a fully enclosed cab. The engine and drive train noise on the other hand is very loud. If I ride it for very long I use ear plugs. After all you are basically sitting on the engine.

2107 Commander XT1000
2008 CanAm 650max XT
CanAm DS650
Honda 400EX
07skidoo GSX 800
03Skidoo Rev800
Sedoo GTX
SeadooGTI
87 skidoo formula plus
seadooXP
85 skidoo formulaMX
Skidoo Blizzard5500
post #5 of 38 Unread 04-14-2019, 08:19 AM Thread Starter

That loud??

The Defender isnít loud at all imo.

post #6 of 38 Unread 04-14-2019, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Defender engine is behind cab.
post #7 of 38 Unread 04-14-2019, 09:21 AM

When cruising at low rpms, it makes a little noise. gotta be a bit louder than casual conversation voice and still with the occasional "huh". But I don't feel its at ear plug level personally. THat said, I did just buy the sound deadener material to wrap inside the console and got the console cover hoping to tone it down a bit.

Dirt, hmm, I may be an addict!
2014 XT-P, BRP Roof, Windshield, Doors, Factory UTV Skids
A collection of the original "Can" products- Cannondale ATV's and MC
Yamaha, Kawi, and Suzuki are all represented in the stable
Specialized Epic MTB for the workouts- lotsa fun, hurts so good!
Might as well throw a Jeep LJR in for good measure
post #8 of 38 Unread 04-14-2019, 11:36 AM

The heat doesn't bother me like it does a lot of people on here. There are several things that help with the heat tho.

It is pretty loud. If you're doing more than putting around at 4-5 mph, don't expect to have a conversation with your passenger.

If I were in the market for a new sport/utility in the 800cc range, I would most likely go with the yamaha wolverine x2 850 over the 800 commander. Only if I wanted the extra power of the 1000cc, would I go with the commander.

2011 1000XT
post #9 of 38 Unread 04-14-2019, 01:33 PM

Went by the dealer and he told me there will be a redesigned Commander for 2020 supposedly with the engine moved back. I'm waiting to see if he was truthful or just full of BS
Bill_Rowe likes this.

2014 XT 1000 BRP Bimini Top with Visor, Kolpin wind shield,BRP soft rear window,Racer Tech 2" lift,DX sport low,lower tail gait lock,Custom bracket for cooler tie down,Horn, Wrapped pipes,air foil insulated under cowl and Fire extinguisher.
post #10 of 38 Unread 04-14-2019, 01:35 PM
Super Moderator

Yeah lots of hype floating around . As always guess we will believe it when we see it .
Bill_Rowe likes this.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion