Commander Questions from a Noob - Can-Am Commander Forum
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 Old 03-05-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

Commander Questions from a Noob

Hey guys, new here I’ve been on several forums before for Honda’s so I kind of have the jist of how they work... first things first I bought a used 2015 Commander 1,000xt yesterday and I’m looking forward to getting in it this riding season. Bike seems to of been well kept but my questions are A) how easy is it to hook up the Hayden switch for fan control? I’ve read some from the threads on this forum but can am is completely new to me and they seem to be a whole different ball game from what I’m used to working on. B) Is the Thermo-Tec Insulation really worth it? How hard is it to do getting all the plastics out and wrapping it them up? Finally C) What are yalls thoughts on the header wrap to keep heat down?

Main thing I’m wanting to do is cool down the cab and from what I’ve read it’s almost unbearable in the summer, I’m from Mississippi so it does tend to have some hot days... just trying to get comfortable for the riding season without tearing up my new toy. Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 03-05-2019, 09:48 PM
Official Site Vendor

Welcome from So. Cal & Baja Mexico.
Check out threads on fan controls.
OK on header wrap & thermo tech, use the Titanium wrap to not have to use water, helps prevent the rust build up on the pipes.
Plastic removal is and will always be a Royal PITA, just deal with it.

Check out my web site
* NEW E-MAIL Address*
[email protected]
post #3 of 32 Old 03-05-2019, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

Thanks man! I just would hate to mess up cutting a wrong wire for the Fan control I can’t completely pin point where to wire it into the fan motor... I’ll look it up some more and write down the necessary info. My worries about the plastics are just taking them apart and not being able to get it all back together haha. Had I of had the machine for a while I wouldn’t worry with taking the plastics off it’s just the fact of it being new to me that makes me worry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 Old 03-05-2019, 11:15 PM

Where in Mississippi? Me: Mccomb/Summit area. I have a fan override switch but have seen a couple threads on here re: the Hayden controller.

2011 1000XT
post #5 of 32 Old 03-06-2019, 07:48 AM

https://www.commanderforums.org/foru...tch-print.html

Thanx to MudYapster for the writeup and testing of the fan controler (testing was a good read lol) I too opted for the overide as I like being able to shut it off when crossing deep water not sure if the fan blades would break and don't want to find out in the middle of a ride. The plastics WILL go back together fine it's a bit of a jigsaw puzzle but manageable with a tool for removing the rivets. I have the thermotec and header wrap and it's worth the effort in my mind! Welcome to the forum..

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...&ul_noapp=true
Harbor Freight has them for a little less $

14 XTP 1000 custom made race top lol, 30 in Sirius LED lightbar, 20 in led backup, DZ Fan overide,SSV works audio. Full Kolpin tilting windshield.BRP Lateral skids,Holtz Racing steering rack brace, Blingstar doors,Pro Armour door bags,Tusk cab bag,Troy's cool console cover,Can Am soft rear window,Denali 72" pro plow, Troy and Ed's clutch lockup mod!! Racer Tech lift and dual rate springs,oh yea!29.5x9" Warthogs on all 4's for now
And whatever else yanks at my wallet..OUCH !!!

Last edited by JTROCKS; 03-06-2019 at 07:53 AM.
post #6 of 32 Old 03-06-2019, 08:54 AM

Do the exhaust wrap, insulate all the center console plastics, the under seat panels, cover/plug any openings, and do the fan override switch its plug and play with no wire cutting. Also pull the top center control panel (switch panel) and stuff some insulation up in there on the driver and passenger center console sides up under the dash, gap between panels and dash top. I did all this and it made the machine much more comfortable to ride in during the summer months.
post #7 of 32 Old 03-06-2019, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Okay so Iím trying to decide on just ordering a console cover from tite tops and putting it on to see if it still gets real hot inside. So I wonít have to go breaking down the machine, and if it is still hot inside Iím thinking about trying to hook up the Hayden switch. Any of you running the console cover Iíve seen nothing but good things about them. Oh and Iím from up towards the delta area in Mississippi, actually have some family down in Mccomb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #8 of 32 Old 03-06-2019, 12:23 PM

Welcome to the forum.

I may have to grow old, but you can't make me grow up!
post #9 of 32 Old 03-06-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogerhead View Post
Welcome to the forum.

Thanks! Surely Iíll enjoy it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #10 of 32 Old 03-07-2019, 09:46 PM

I ordered a TiteTop and it works pretty good. Still some heat that would probably be handled by wrapping the exhaust, "your sitting right on top of it". I haven't wrapped mine, but if you blow a belt you'll have to wait for it to cool off, because you'll be working in a around the smokin' hot pipe. It's pretty tight when your trying to do it on the trail. So buy a set of pliers and extra plastic fastners on (Amazon) to get the job done. There is very little you'll have to do w/engine etc.without having to remove the plastics inside the cab. Oil check or change ya tear it all apart, enjoy you'll get use to taking care of any of that at home and not out riding "Hopefully " 😁. Welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy your ride as much as I do. Jay Btw: I don't have a fan override ! With all the discussion I think I might.

Chariot Racer !

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Can-Am Commander Forum > Can-Am Commander General Discussion > Commander General Discussion

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode